What exactly is the difference between..

A sump is used to house your heater, pumps, skimmer and other equipment you want to keep out of sight and not in your display tank. It adds extra water volume and keeps your tank more stable.

A refugium is helpful in controlling nitrates and is a biological type of filtering system using sand, rock rubble and live cheato. It is also a pod producing factory for natural live food for your fish.

Thank you so much for your response.

I recently have purchased an preexisting tank (move was successful so far, 3 days after transporting all livestock well, water levels normal)

It has always been a passion of mine to build a tank of my own, but im using this one as practice, while doing everything in my power to keep the previous owners livestock healthy.

Years ago I designed a sump as I would like to keep all things possibly hidden, hidden, but when i got back into this I saw a refugium at a LFS, but didnt have time to ask about it, and it looked very similar to a sump, but with several of the differences you listed, I just wanted professional clarification.

A lot of people, including myself have one tank below their main tank that is split up in 3 different sections: Skimmer, Return, and Refugium and refer to the whole thing as a sump.

A lot of people, including myself have one tank below their main tank that is split up in 3 different sections: Skimmer, Return, and Refugium and refer to the whole thing as a sump.

So in these setups does the intake (from the tank) go directly into the skimmer section? Can you build baffles after the refugium for a bubble trap? Are there any disadvantages of combining a sump/refugium, meaning you take away aspects from both of them when combining the two?

Mine has 3 compartments, as well...the left side holds the skimmer, and 75% of my tank water lands in there...separated by a triple baffle, the middle section is strictly return (a mix of water from the skimmed intake area, and the fuge area), and the right side receives 25% of the tank water, plus maybe 10% skimmed water from the skimmer's 2nd output, and this is separated from the return with a single baffle w/ teeth. To each their own, and I've found this design works for me.

Some people prefer their sump w/ skimmer below the tank, while their fuge is above the tank, so as to get more pods safely pouring into the main tank by way of gravity (that way the pods don't go through the return pump's propellers). Here's a video I made of my 3-stage sump awhile back (this was then it was all nice and clean :) )

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LShjPYPvh_c[/ame]

Back