what inverts

Hi all, I am looking for info on snails for my 58gallon nano reef. I have a cyano bloom. I am trying with the increased flow but the lighting seems to fuel it. I keep changing the water but may need a conch or something after christmas. What sand sifter do you think is best? I currently have a royal gramma, spotted mandarin, scooter blenny, and a few cuc.

Okay, back to the topic at hand - Annie, what do you currently run for lights, and what, how much and how often are you feeding? Also, are you using RO/Di water or tap water? Flow is part of the equation, but there are also other factors that can contribute

While light will make cyano issues worse, they need phosphates and nitrates to grow as well

What is your tank testing at for those? What about your source water?

Hi all, apart from the annoying troll.

I have the standard lights of the boyu orca 58l. Off the top of my head I dont know what type they are. I use di water at present because i cant always go to my lfs for ro/di. All my nutrient levels are normal and I check them weekly and do a change if its raised slightly to eliminate that source of cyano growth. I am currently running the night time lights for most of the day and turning the day light on for a couple of hours for my corals. The lighting is the only thing I can think of and my siphon does not suck much of it up.

Can you post a picture of it? Given that your siphon doesn't suck much of it up you might actually have something other than cyano

Light in and of itself won't cause a cyano issue. Have you tested the water you use for water changes and top offs? If you have cyano and / or other algae in your tank, the '0' you are getting for nitrates and phosphates is not really 0

no i havent tested my di water. maybe i best do that as its bottled and the only thing i can see to contribute. i feed frozen brineshrimp at 2.5ml per day. ive spotted a dead snail today so i need to whip that outta there too

You don't need to feed every day, despite what the fish try telling you as you walk by the tank :D

For most tanks, you can feed every other, or even every third day. Cutting down on the food you put into the tank will also cut down on the things in the water that Cyano needs to flourish.

If you haven't tested your source water, you should definitely try to do so. Take a look and make sure that your test kits for nitrate and phosphate are good for both freshwater and saltwater. Over here, the API test kits come with color charts for both. Your tank size is listed in Liters, so I suspect you're on the other side of the pond, and I'm not familiar with the test kit brands that are commonly used over there

I know, my poor fish get so excited when I walk past the tank. Poor things! I thought 2.5ml of brinshrimp for a scooter blenny, spotted mandarin, firecracker goby, royal gramma, cleaner shrimp and a few soft corals was fine for daily feeding? Or is it too much? The royal gramma pinches loads if I feed them late and the others end up going without :-(

I have API test kits too. Here in the UK, i read that chemiclean is not licensed because of the erythromycin sulphate

If your tank description is accurate, that you have a nano, I will only make 2 suggestions. Nassarus snails are sand burrowers and will nestle down into the sand bed with their snorkles stilcking out. They will move around in ther keeping the sand turned and aerated. My other suggestion would be a dragon goby, a small one. This fella will take in mouthfulls of sand and sift it out through its gills looking for hidden bits of food. My word of caution on the goby....they can be jumpers and you'd want to keep a cover on your tank. Also, if you are already at your max fish quota, you shouldn't add him to your small tank. Just my 2c

My pink spotted watchman goby also does this. I was always wondering what he was doing. He take a huge bite out of the sand and then "poops" it out of his gils.

Back