What is a refugium?

Several years ago, FAMA and other aquarium periodicals brought the refugium to our attention. There resulted a flurry of "how-to's" and "why-for's" that occupied many pages in many magazines and continues to be the subject of new inquiries. So, from a non-scientific and hobbyist's perspective, let's talk refugiums!
Essentially, a refugium is nothing more than a refuge from predation. Sessile inverts and other delicate species need a place to call their own and the advent of the refugium was just the ticket! Isolated, but connected to the main display tank (see diagram above), the refugium allows for common water filtration while at the same time keeping more aggressive fish from impacting it. Follows is a diagram showing a simplified refugium setup. Notice how the water is delivered to the unit and how it drains back into the display tank and/or sump. I'll take this opportunity to point out that a true refugium is NOT a reverse photosynthesis device! Nope, those are another animal altogether! True refugiums are meant to be SEEN as is the main show tank! Reverse photosynthesis arrangements are meant to be installed beneath the display tank and are a means of primary biological filtration. Not so the refugium! The focus here is to provide a "quiet" zone for Seahorses, Peppermint Shrimps, Copepods & Amphipods and other denizens that would otherwise not last long at all in a community tank. While benefiting from the improved water quality that most reef systems provide, this isolation allows for spawning in our shrimps or other animals, as well as providing a nice sand bed for beneficial worms and other sifters.

A refugium is only something that can benefit your tank. I have a 7.5 gal refugium in my system and it has chaeto in it which copepods thrive in. It is also a place you can put a DSB to reduce Nitrates.

This is a place where copepods thrive, then get shot back into your main tank for live food. They thrive in the refugium because there is no predator to them.

It is not required to have a refugium but if you can add one to your tank I highly suggest doing so.

08-16-08_1803.jpg

08-16-08_1800.jpg

Fuges rule!

Ready or not,here I come.See what I did there?Wait a second,you said fuges rule and not Fugees rule!

A refugium is exactly what the name states.Its a refuge for copepods and macroalgae to grow and multiply without predation.The copepods benefits include food for fish,consumes detritus,consume microalgae(diatoms,film algae).The macroalgae helps to reduce phosphate, and nitrate.Incorporate a deep sand bed and rock rubble will aid in nitrification(breakdown of ammonia and nitrite) and dentrification(breakdown of nitrates).

Back