What is "Reef Safe - With Caution" means?

assafelbaz

Reefing newb
Hi.

I'm searching for nice fish to my tank and i see reef safe fish but some of them is "with caution". Can someone explain that to me?

Thanks.

Reef safe doesnt really mean that they will eat corals, some will go after your clean up crew.
In my opinion, each fish has its own personality. maybe someone can elaborate more.

Waddi is right -- reef safe means that they won't eat corals or inverts. Reef safe with caution means that some individuals may eat corals or inverts, but not all. Each fish is individual. :) For example, coral beauty and flame angels are usually considered reef safe with caution. Sometimes these fish will nip or eat corals. But a lot of times, they are model citizens and never touch them.

Also, read the description of the fish or invert as well. They can be reef safe with corals, but may eat inverts, or the other way around - they may not care about inverts but may snack on corals

The banner fish are with caution because one type is reef safe, the others are not. So its hit or miss on which species you have bought because it is very difficult to tell them apart.

Tomini tangs are great, and i would consider them reef safe.

So why they are saying Peaceful and Reef Safe if some of them are not? How can i buy a fish and be sure it will be good.

I see that if i want to grow corals in my tank i can't really pick any nice fish... Only the small one-color ones.

Because they are a business, its their job to sell fish, and more of those fish will be sold if they are peaceful and reef safe because that is what they are looking for.

However, you really do have lots of options, not just small one colored fish. Why dont you create a list of fish you are looking at and I can help you figure out which ones would be a good fit for your tank.

A friend of mine tried putting two schooling bannerfish in his reef tank and they were terrible in there. First they nipped at everything that was well-established in the tank (but didn't really hurt anything as far as I know).
His tank was 100gallons, though...the LFS told him it would be ok but he says they were wrong and they needed a much bigger tank. He managed to sell one quickly, the other lasted for months and things got a little better but he was happy to be rid of it when it was all done.

He got it because he likes the way the Moorish Idol looks and the bannerfish is the second best similar-looking fish....but I can tell you that seeing them both in person before...the Idol looks amazing and the bannerfish just looks like an angel fish with a long fin. :-\

Back