What is the voodoo magic!

Eissie

Reefing newb
anasty.jpg

Tell me what this crap is and how to get rid of it. :/

If you are talking about the purple that is coraline algae. A good thing and something that aquarists strive for in their tank, the dark red also appears to be coraline as well. It comes in many different colors, purple being the most seen.

If the dark maroon stuff is what you're refering to....I would suspect the onset of cyano. Hard to tell from the pic. Have you tried to remove any of it?

Yeah the maroon stuff is the culprit. I was afriad of cyano. Didnt want to go touching anything untill i figured out what it was. :/

Now that i think about it i guess i put this in the wrong thread. Maybe an admin will move it for me.

So what do i need to do here

I would start by siphoning out as much as possible with airline tubing. Direct more flow over to that area. What are your params? How long are your lights on for? If it is cyano, nows the time to get it out. When i delt with it , it took 6 weeks to get rid of it! Also whats your water change schedule and source of water? So many questions....I feel like a therapist..lol...tell me about your childhood...lol

It all started when my dad took me to the zoo....Oh wait... :D

Let me get you the params in the morning its time for bed. As far as water changes go im on a weekly change of 5 gallons. I have been trying to use a little trick with my water changes, but this started before my change.

Also now that i think about it i guess i do leave my lights on way to long. Need to cut back on that i suppose. I bought a Zilla power strip, but didnt get instructions. Anyone know how to set on of those things. I thought i had it figured out but thats a big no.
And will it come off my LR that easy?

yes, it will and i have used zilla timers they arent hard at all to use. Ill pm you on how to set them. +1 to what everyone else said concerning water flow.

Thanks cathic. I tried looking up the directions online and everything to no avail.

Guess i'll start sucking water today.

Is the maroon stuff slimy or is it hard? I can't see the picture on my phone. But I have large amount of maroon coralline all over my rocks.

Well its kinda hard. And its not at all coming off with a syphon and rubbing it is barely making it come off.

if it is a hard substance then it is most likely coraline. some people want it (including myself) and some people say it is a nuesance. it wont harm your tank at all, but when it starts to spread it is almost unstaopable. it will grow on EVERYTHING

Back