What is this creature that looks like a baby sand sifting sea star?

hawkboys10

Reefing newb
I have 20 + of these little star creatures that look like a sand sifting sea star, what are they?

Also, I will be moving shortly, I have a 75 gallon reef and fish tank, I am upgrading to a 210 gallon, what is the best possible switch over, do I need to let the new tank cycle? My plans are to fill the new tank with everything out of the old tank, even the water, so I would say the new tank should be cycled instantly? any suggestions?

Thanks for your help

Can you get a pic of the star?What color is it and does it have short stubby arms or skinny long ones?

Funny you should mention going from a 75g to a 210.I just recently did a change over.I knew that I wouldn't have enough rocks in the 210 so I let it cycle with 120g. of live rock and 220lbs of live sand for about three weeks before I transferred the everything over from the 75g.If your not adding anymore rocks than I believe you should be okay switching everything over including the water,rocks and sand.I do think it would be better to hold corals,inverts and fish in a holding tank for a day or two since its going to get real cloudy and murky.

First off,Welcome to the reef.
Its hard to make a close to positive ID on your stars with out a pic,But its possible that you have a bunch of micro-stars.My 75 is full of them.

Now for moving your stuff to a bigger tank.
I wouldnt count on an instant cycle,especially since a 75 is no where near as big as a 210.
I changed from a 55 to a 75 in the space of a couple of hours.But I wouldnt recommend it.I'd get the 210 up and let it cycle,then move every thing over.

I really think it is the asterina anomal stars. It is like they just keep reproducing all the time. Are they bad for the tank or should I just let them go?

Also for my new 210 gallon tank, I am looking at a MH 1134 watt combo light with blue act. flur bulbs. Should be sufficient?

Thanks

Also, Stirring the sand might expose some of the anairobic bacteria to oxygen which would kill them. So they would need to multiply. Any major change to a system might cause a cycle. Granted if you use the existing LR and sand, it would be alot shorter than if you built it new.

Brian

I agree with what others have said, if it's possible, set up the new tank beforehand and let it cycle through before moving your stuff into it. I recently moved everything from my 55 gallon into my new 240 in one day. I used all new sand, the same rock, and all new water. I haven't seen a cycle yet (and it's been around 3 weeks) but I was risking everything I had in my tank. In my case, it was unavoidable, but if you can, set your new tank up ahead of time.

Some people leave asterinas in, others claim that they eat corals. I, personally, would remove them. Better safe than sorry, especially after all the coral eating stories I've heard. Some people have them in their tanks and have never seen them near the corals. That's up to you.

People have been debating if they are reef safe or not.Some say they are good scavengers and others say they been eating there corals.I had them for better part of eight months and haven't lost any corals because of them.I consider them part of the clean up crew.The choice to remove them is up to you.

Can you post a link to the fixture.If its a quality fixture than it should do nicely.

Depends on what you want to keep. For SPS, anemones and clams, go with the high end of that range. If you want to stop at LPS and softies, then you can go with the low end of that range.

I'm only running 3 wpg of T5 with individual reflectors.I'm considered unlimited but SPS and clams need to be 5-6'' off the bottom.Well,I have a 3'' sand bed so actually 3'' off the sand bed.I hate to use the watts per gallon rule but if you're going MH them 8-10 wpg would be best.IMO.that fixture will be plenty even though its right under 6 wpg.

Back