What is this thing In my tank?

Panamaniac

Reefing newb
I was looking at my tank yesterday and noticed this thing crawling out of one of my rocks... does anyone know what this is and if it is a good or bad thing in there?

Attachments

• IMAG1587.jpg
    IMAG1587.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 313
So no need to worry about this worm? Where would it have come from? I have had my tank set up for about 4 years and have not gotten any new rock or any thing... also my tank now has a million baby star fish. Should I be concerned about those?

the worm is good, im sure in a tank that has been up for that long you have WAY more than that. i have a bunch in my sand, no need to worry about it unless it gets really really big, then its your call.
as for the baby stars, i personally like them simply because i dont have them, every time i go to the lfs i see their tank and want to ask him for some......some ppl consider them as pests because they multiply like crazy but if you dont mind them then i believe its fine to have them.

They are fine to have. I bet you have tons of them. They are probably the most common hitch hiker. They come in on anything you introduce to your tank -- sand, rock, macroalgae, coral frags, etc.

What kind of starfish are they? If they are mini brittle stars (with the long skinny legs), then those are not problematic. If they are asterina stars (usually with 5+ legs, short and stumpy, and are found on the glass and rocks), then those guys have sometimes been known to eat corals, but most of the time are fine as well. Neither of those are "baby" starfish; they are just small species of stars. They won't get any bigger than they are now.

Back