what is this

jcegt87

Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
i checked my rocks and all my purple rocks have started growing some green "algae":question:
IMG_0163.JPG

should i take out and clean

also should i start my skimmer now or wait for end cycle

Looks like a dose of cyano to me.Its cause by excess nutrients and too much couple with not enough flow through the tank.

I would go ahead remove the rocks with cyano and scrub with an old toothbrush.Start the skimmer now,it will need a break-in period anyways.

Does it rub off with your hand? If so it's cyano. Which is a pain in the rear. I would go ahead and start the skimmer.

If you just started your tank, you will get cyano. There is no fighting it you will also get hair algae. Just natural steps in a new tank. Good luck you will be a member of the AFT club before you now it.

Cyano is a normal part of a new tank. Keep your water parameters high (with nitrates and phosphates at zero or as close to zero as possible), don't overfeed, and try to increase circulation in that area by aiming a powerhead at the cyano.

Listen to what these people say. I've learned alot just reading their advice. I also used advice from them with total success. I had hair algae ,and finely it went away after I had the skimmer on for a couple of weeks.

Back