what is this?!?!?!

jkeating2005

I am Addicted for sure!
IMG_0035.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0037.jpg

what is this purple stuff growing on my rock?

its all over

is it good? bad?

and on the 1st picture the dark red stuff growing in the bottom right corner?

idk??

Cyano grows where there is no flow and it grows off of phosphates. I had this problem in my little tank.
When doing a water change try to suck it all of and how much are you feeding and what are you feeding?

It will go away eventually, its just something you have to battle against and wait it out.

How many fish and how much do you feed. It will help but the problem is if you move it away from somewhere and point it there it will start growing at the other spot.

im gonna go with the Koralina powerheads. which one would you recomend. i have a 46 gallon. its going to have softies in it?

i have a bunch of that red cyano algae on the rocks i bought is there anything that eats it? I also need to put some chateo( i think thats what its called in the sump) How about hair algae got some of that popping up too..

I dont think that SPOT in the first pic is cyano.But I dont think its coralline either.I've got a few spots of it in my tank.Its more like some type of red turf algae,only it dont get out of hand like bryopsis does.
But you still need some powerheads in there.Not only do the create more natural conditions for your fish and coral,but the help with gas exchange.Basically,its healthier.

Is the dark red stuff soft and slimy? Feel it. If yes, it's cyano.

I still say it's cyano until you prove me wrong by telling me that it's hard and crusty.

Biff,
The spot I'm seeing,does have a kinda slimy velvety feel to it,but it dont come loose when you touch it.

Back