What kind of corals should I get?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
I was going to post this in the corals section but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could.

I purchased a blue mushroom a green mushroom and a orange and yellow small(10) colony of Zoa today. One mushroom came on a square thing that is stupid looking in the tank but the rest we on rock. I tried to put the mushrooms near the bottom but didn't want to put them in the sand. I put the Zoa in the center next to where it gets good flow.

Tomorrow I am going to the Coral Corrale(SP) to look at what they have. I just want simple stuff. I have already gotten some good ideas from a few people on here but I would like to hear from others.

I really like the Torch Corals of anything like that but I think that may just be a bit much for me to care for. Other than putting in a frozen food that when it goes though my powerhead looks like a food blizzard I don't know if I want to feed it like it says it calls for. Anyone have this and have to feed it directly or will my method be enough like every 3-4 days.

I do not want hard corals as I do not want to have to take care of them. I would not mind just buying the brine shrimp if need be for other soft corals but I want to stay away from having to add stuff to the water.

I am always not to into putting the water the brine shrimp come in, in my tank. Is there a better way to get that done. I toss like 6-12 of those tiny clear shrimp in my tank now for my eel and he can eat as he sees fit. I just break out the squid here and there when I see him roaming for too long and he chomps it down.

So my list of what I like but not something I will buy until I know the routine and if i will do it.

Torch
Bubble
Green Star
Brain

Colors are something I will have to pick if they come in other colors.

Since I can't get fish for a while I thought I would decorate.

I know the corals I have do not require any supplements but I know some will. But do they take anything out of the water when you have a lot of them that makes it force you to change the water more frequently?

Thanks for the help.

All of those corals would be great choices. The bubble coral and green star polyps would be the easiest (IMO, bubble corals are some of the easiest LPS corals to keep). Torches are usually very hardy as well. Brains can be finicky, but overall are good beginner choices.

Yeah ok I will do that or not do that I mean.

I snagged a big piece of chaeto to go with what I had. About two or three softball size pieces.

Found like 5 of those feeder shrimp in one of my sump socks. I think I am going to put a net behind the overflo and just use velcro so I can clean it.

I was going to post this in the corals section but I wanted to get as many opinions as I could.

I purchased a blue mushroom a green mushroom and a orange and yellow small(10) colony of Zoa today. One mushroom came on a square thing that is stupid looking in the tank but the rest we on rock. I tried to put the mushrooms near the bottom but didn't want to put them in the sand. I put the Zoa in the center next to where it gets good flow.

Tomorrow I am going to the Coral Corrale(SP) to look at what they have. I just want simple stuff. I have already gotten some good ideas from a few people on here but I would like to hear from others.

I really like the Torch Corals of anything like that but I think that may just be a bit much for me to care for. Other than putting in a frozen food that when it goes though my powerhead looks like a food blizzard I don't know if I want to feed it like it says it calls for. Anyone have this and have to feed it directly or will my method be enough like every 3-4 days.

I do not want hard corals as I do not want to have to take care of them. I would not mind just buying the brine shrimp if need be for other soft corals but I want to stay away from having to add stuff to the water.

I am always not to into putting the water the brine shrimp come in, in my tank. Is there a better way to get that done. I toss like 6-12 of those tiny clear shrimp in my tank now for my eel and he can eat as he sees fit. I just break out the squid here and there when I see him roaming for too long and he chomps it down.

So my list of what I like but not something I will buy until I know the routine and if i will do it.

Torch
Bubble
Green Star
Brain

Colors are something I will have to pick if they come in other colors.

Since I can't get fish for a while I thought I would decorate.

I know the corals I have do not require any supplements but I know some will. But do they take anything out of the water when you have a lot of them that makes it force you to change the water more frequently?

Thanks for the help.

First, move your zoas. Typically, they are a lower tank coral, and do better in low flow. Position your shroom around your tank, they will multiply.

Of the coarls you have listed, the brain, torch, and bubble are all LPS corals, meaning they frow a skeletal structure. So knowing that, they will consume clacium and magneium from your water. As those minerals are depleted they will need to be replentished, either in the way of dosing, or stringent water change schedules. As you accumulate more of those types of coral, and SPS corals, those meinerals will be depleted even quicker.

It would be in your best interest to get test kits to test your water for those as well as an Alk test kit. that way you know what you are up against, and can start to dose when you need to.

I use instant ocean reef and I was changing 20% a week right now but was hoping I could get down to just 10% a month or every two weeks. I can't do more due to location of one of my anemones. I guess if I had less rock that would be better fir getting more water out.

I will if I buy any of those get a supplement so what kind is good. My calcium is usually 450 but since the red sea test was junk and has been replaced by my API test I would like to get all API.

I have an alk test and the ph from red sea and api was the same reading.

Instant ocean doesnt have all the minerals you need, its made for fish only. Switch to Reef Crystals or something like that, they are made with all the minerals corals need.

I said I use instant ocean reef crystals above. So what if I add supplements. I mean if these things grow big they use more.

Instant ocean reef crystals is fine for reefs. instant ocean also makes a non-reef brand that is not good for reefs. Your salt is fine.

And with regular water changes i highly doubt you are going to need to add anything. I have lots of stony corals and my calcium and alk levels stay fine with regular water changes.

dont dose unles you have a proven need and you can test for what you dose.

Yeah I just was replying to that other post. I want to get some sups just in case I need them.

I was thinking some calcium and maybe magnesium.

What's your take on what I should keep on hand.

I will not be adding anything without testifing.

I have only a calcium test.

I will not buy anything.

Thank you I am on my way now to the shop.

Back