What kind of eel is this?

Alec

Reefing newb
The fish store said it was a snowflake, but I KNOW it's not a snowflake. I'm thinking a moray eel, but can I get any confirmation from you guys?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlSk4E7NyNA"]Moray Eel PWNING Goldfish - YouTube[/ame]

Definitely not a snowflake. But I can attest to their attitude. My little jerk just bit the crap out of me while I was cleaning my tank. They're so sneaky.

It's either a snowflake eel or a green moray. :disappoin

Ugh, I have no idea what it is. I've never seen a black eel. :-?

Im not entirely sure what sort of eel that was, the video was like watching The Blair Witch Project in fast forward. :mrgreen:

If you can get a decent still shot of it, it would help with identification quite a bit. Its definately not a snowflake though.

Just a sidebar conversation, goldfish aren't proper live feeders for that eel. You need to be getting some sort of cheap live marine fish to feed it or try to get it switched over to dead frozen marine food(silversides, shrimp ect) fed by a skewer. Fresh water fish don't have the proper omega fatty acids to properly sustain those fish in the long term. I hope that doesn't come across as trolling or anything just something I felt that needed to be passed along.

Just a sidebar conversation, goldfish aren't proper live feeders for that eel. You need to be getting some sort of cheap live marine fish to feed it or try to get it switched over to dead frozen marine food(silversides, shrimp ect) fed by a skewer. Fresh water fish don't have the proper omega fatty acids to properly sustain those fish in the long term. I hope that doesn't come across as trolling or anything just something I felt that needed to be passed along.

He actually loves frozen fish, unlike my lionfish! That's the good news!! This was just a little treat for him.

looks like a freshwater eel to me as well

Well when I bought him he was in saltwater with other saltwater fish, and he's been in my salt tank for 4-5 weeks now and he's managing fine. He might be a fresh eel, who could have acclimated to the salt, who knows.

Ugh, I have no idea what it is. I've never seen a black eel. :-?

He's actually got a tint of purple to him. With a black shade.

Last edited:
Back