What kind of Hydor Koralia pump should I get??

tp1011

Reefing newb
Hi everyone,

I have a 29 bc and I want to get 2 Hydor Koralia pumps and the Ocean Pulse Wavemaker
any suggestions on which Koralia pumps I should get. Since there are a few to choose from or should I go with the nano Koralia pumps.

Thanks guys

This is my opinion.... Here we go. I think those wave makers are crap. I feel better :-). They turn power heads on and off. Hard starting is terrible on any electric motor. If they invented a soft start for them they would be better. They will cut the life of the powerheads in half. All your amps are on start up so expect you energy cost to go up too

I would go for something around the 500gph range. Im not sure what that is for model. If you are running 2 i would split it at 300 and point them directly at eachother

rofl Mario!
I'd go with 2 of the 425 nanos. The regular koralias take up a lot of space and I think will be more bulky than you want in a biocube.

I went with x2 hydor 240s only because it was affecting my mushrooms...not all corals want high flow...keep it in mind...plus u also don't wanna throw ur fish around

The fish will be fine with the flow, and mine have always been happiest when there was lots of flow to play in.

I would go with the 425, they hardly put out anything IMO. I have one in my 18 gal cube and the flow was so pathetic i ended up adding a 1400 that turns on/off to make sure there was enough flow to keep the tank oxygenated and so that I could more than soft corals.

No matter how much flow you put in there will always be low flow spots for the corals that dont like the higher flows. And then you will still have high flow spots to keep other types of corals.

I know it's not a popular opinion, but I do not like the Hydor I have. It's the 750gph powerhead in my 29g tank. It's flow is good but it's quirky. They ALL have problems with not producing flow sometimes...the turn the plug around fix works sometimes but not always. It is a pain in the ass a lot of the time. Also, the thing is HUGE. It is unnecessary big.

I bought a JBJ Oceanstream 500gph pump about 5 months ago and it is FANTASTIC. It always works no matter what. IT also has the magnetic holds just like hydor but its profile is like 1/2 the size. The only disadvantage is a decreased ability to control flow direction but imo its worth it. I have both in my tank and I'm still considering whether I want another oceanstream and get the jbj wavemaker system or just spend the $$ and get the vortech.

Either way, I can't recommend the hydor. It's just not that good in my experience.

Back