What OverFlow do I need?

immortality6000

Reefing newb
I am starting my first Saltwater tank, it's a 26 gal bow front tank. I was going to go with just 1 hob Aqueon 50 Filter(250gph) and a Maxi-Jet 1200 powerhead in the tank. After thinking about it more, why not use the ProClear Aquatics Wet/Dry Filter I have(up to a 75 gallon tank). I bought the sump off craigslist with a QuietOne 3000 pump for 40 bucks, couldnt pass that deal up. Anyways...I am guessing the QuietOne 3000 pump is way to much for a 26 Gallon Satlwater tank. So the question is....What Pump and What sized overflow should i use for this tank? Please help me get started. Thanks.

Ideally your overflow should match the return pump's output (factoring in head loss) so that you would not need to mess with tuning the return pump's output.

The QuietOne 3000 is only 780 GPH. Compared to your 26 gallon tank it will be around 30x water turnover per hour.
So if you manage to divert the return output properly, you might not need any additional powerheads to accomplish proper circulation and agitation within the tank.

So if you are going to use the QuietOne pump, then you will need an overflow setup that is rated for at least 780gph.

You can also tune down the return volume by setting up a tee connection with ball valves in the sump to redirect some of the water back to the sump and not overwhelm the overflow.

Back