What power heads do you use?

Reefgyrl

Reefing newb
Thinking about changing my powere heads. My tank never seems clear enough. I have 3- maxi jet 600's and 1 - 1200 in my 55.

The powerheads won't clear up your water. If you want to clarify your water, you can run carbon in a section of your protein skimmer that water is forced through or buy a canister filter. I wouldn't run the carbon 24/7, every couple weeks for a day or so should do it. You could also try running something called ChemiPure Elite, which will help clarify your water.

But if you do want new powerheads, I use Hydor Koralias. I like them a lot.

Thanks for the info. I just bought a koralia for my nano. Works great. So in your opinion, do you think that 600's are enough?

Three MJ600 and one MJ1200 is enough for a 55g. depending on what corals you have.Plenty of flow for soft and LPS coral.Probably not enough for SPS corals though.

WHat kind of canister filters are good these days? Do people really run canister filters on top of having a sump? I am not sure I have room.

I have an Eheim 2213 on my 46g. I have heard good things abotu Eheim products so that is why I got it. I have heard that you need to clean canister filters often however because of Nitrate buildup.

Canister filters can become problematic if you run them constantly. Most people only use them to run carbon or other media like that ocasionally. Like Alto said, if they're used constantly for filtration, they can cause nitrate problems.

Back