What should I Stock?

ReefyCane

SuperNewbie
Hi All,

Now that I got my tank parameters where they should be and my CUC is working to get everything under control my thoughts are shifting to what kind of stock I want to put into my tank. I know I will probably get a peppermint or coral banded shrimp (after a month or two of course), but I was wondering your thoughts on fish.

I want to get a pair of clowns for sure, but also a goby of some sort and possibly a blenny. Is there any specific order you would add these?

Also, when can I start adding some corals??

I know patience is key here and that's why I am asking. I plan on putting in a fish and then waiting 2-3 weeks before adding another and so on.

Thanks,
~RC

As for fish add peaceful ones first then the more aggressive ones. What size tank you have will have a impact on which fish you can get.

You'll have to stick with the smaller fish. Clowns,firefish,royal gramma, gobies to just give you a idea. Stay away from damsels.

Adding the goby or blenny first would be the way I'd go. Be careful because most gobies will jump. So make sure you don't have an open top tank.

I would skip the Coral Banded Shrimp and go with a Skunk Cleaner or Fire Shrimp instead.Those two are peaceful and beneficial scavengers where a Banded can become aggressive boogers.Some people have witness them going after small fish although I had one for over 5 years and it never went after mine.Its risky so the choice is up to you.

I would do the clowns or blenny first.The goby(if its a sand sifter)should wait until your tank matures 6 months.They will consume fauna(copepods,worms) that live in the sand.Disclaimer 1:Sand sifting gobies consume fauna(copepods,worms,micro-organisms) that live in the sandbed.The fauna helps in removing microalgae and detritus so I'm not a fan of any of the sand sifting gobies.Consider one of the gobies that have a symbotic relation with a pistol shrimp instead.Disclaimer 2:Because blennies have a similar shape as gobies,they may not get along...especially in a 30g.

Usually a month after the cycle is the best time to add your first corals.Mushrooms,zoanthids and many other soft corals make first additions.There are a few hardy LPS like Frogspawn that are super hardy as well.Research there hardinest,light requirement,flow,maintenace and of course what you prefer then go from there.

Back