what size tank do I need for 3 yellow tangs?

cms

Reefing newb
Is a 90 gal too small for 3 (small) yellow tangs? I also have 1 clownfish and 3 chromis. How big and how fast do they grow? Thanks

It's too small because they will likely fight to the death. Tangs of the same type are usually incompatible, especially in smaller tanks. A 90 is large enough for a yellow tang, but I highly doubt you'd be able to keep more than one; they will be very aggressive towards each other.

+1 biff, but it's always 50/50. Depends on how much of a chance you want to take. Is it worth the possibility of throwing away the cost?

And is it worth possibly throwing away the lives of animals that have no choice in the matter? If you really want three yellow tangs, you will need to look at a substantially larger tank than a 90. In this hobby, you have to really consider not only what is beautiful and eye pleasing, but what is humane for the living creatures involved.

Set aside the fact that 3 Tangs in a 90 gal is cruel, then disgard the fact that Yellow Tangs are a Bold/Agressive fish.....You still have the issue of how much oxygen that your tank will produce to properly house healthyfish, check this out, "How Many Fish?" Aquarium Stock Level Calculator, & keep in mind that Yellows' grow to be 8-9 inches!!!

Back