What test kits does everyone use for Mg??

salt newbie01

Reefing newb
I am getting a couple new test kits this week. what does everyone use to Mg? I am also getting alk test kit - I think I am getting the fast test for the alk. It is pretty easy to read.
Thanks.

the new instant ocean test kit is just as easy and a couple dollars cheaper on the alkalinity end.

For Magnesium I use Seachem. In all honesty though in your tank since you aren't useing a kalk or calc reactor magnesium might not be a real issue for you with frequent water changes.

Brandon

I may hold off then. I have been reading over on RC in the lps forum that the three things to watch are alk, calc and mg. I thought it couldn't hurt to get a test kit to keep an eye on it. Have you used the IO test for alk? And if so do you like it as much as your fast test?

This is the reason I am asking about Mg. My new addition...

blasto2.jpg

I also got a merletti frag from a fellow reefer but I have not been able to get a good pic of it yet.
:helm2: Slowly working on an LPS dominated tank!!!!

WOW! those look awefully good for only 1 day in the tank. Somebody sure knows how to transport corals.:mrgreen: they really do look awesome.

honestly if you didn't tell me I wouldn't know the difference between the Instant Ocean and the fast test alk test.

I just wanted to clear up one of my statements above about the magnesium... If you are using a two part additive system such as kent/seachem etc usually the calcium additive already has magnesium in it so you don't need to really worry with it much.

If your using a balanced one part such as kalkwasser or a calcium reactor then magnesium can become depleted and needs to be a point of focus.

Just check I bet the Calcium additive your using now has Magnesium already in it.

Brandon

Back