what to do with this sump?

Doc

I don't work for anybody
I just picked up this sump today, dirt cheap. I am trying to figure out what to do with these bulkheads. Are they for intake from the DT to start the filtration process? OR are they to be at the end, where I somehow hook up powerheads to force the water into the DT. It makes sense to me that they would be the start of the filtration process for the sump from the DT, but then, how to I hook up filter socks for mechanical filtration? I guess PVC shoved into them and attach the filter socks to those using a T-connection? Any help would be appreciated. I want to do this right.

P5020004.jpg

P5020003.jpg

Let me know what you think.

-Doc

My guess is that the bottom hole is for an external return pump, and the top hole is where the water enters from the display tank.

As the partition next to them is almost to the top of the tank I would say that is the inlet chamber. I would guess the bulk heads probably fed pumps which fed systems such as a chiller or a stand alone skimmer. It would not make sense for them to feed return pumps as the water in the sump would always have to be higher than that tall partition to feed the return pump(s) if they were fed from that chamber.

hmmm. So I guess the main question is to determine what to do with the existing bulk heads. Could I use them both as intake from my overflows in my new tank? If so, then, I can see a use for them. The main question is if I can find hoses to fit the bulk heads from the tank and the ones in the sump. OR, would it be best to remove them and cover the holes with plexiglass and silicone and just start fresh? I have never seen a set up like this before. It makes sense that they would be intake from the DT. Hmmmm. Are bulk heads and hoses standard sizes from tank to tank or is their such a wide variance of hose diameter that I will not be able to match these bulk heads with the ones that will come with my tank?

-Doc

Bulk head standard in the industry for overflow is for one inch schedule 20 PVC pipe diameter. Hardware stores sell both vinyl tubing and flexible hose that will fit over the standard PVC pipe. The flexible hoses use flexible plastic end pieces that look like the fittings on vacuum cleaner hoses. Flexible PVC is readily available down there and it will fit in side all standard PVC pipe fttings. It is stiffer than the flexible hose or the vinyl hose, but will stand up to all kinds of abuse and does not have the restriction problems of vinyl tubing fittings or sealing problems of flexible hose fittings. It runs around 2 to 3 dollars a foot depending on the diameter size. Johns new tank set up has a lot of flexible PVC used in it. It is really good stuff, but expensive.

is that a small gap at the bottom of the divider for the water to flow into? Whats the other half of the sump look like? could you post a pic?

slightly off exact subject and my scarceness may contribute to this, but I thought you were using your 125 as a sump. what are you doijg with this one?

is that a small gap at the bottom of the divider for the water to flow into? Whats the other half of the sump look like? could you post a pic?

it is just empty. I am fitting a plexiglass baffle at the end of the sump to force water through my carbon and phosguard I use in media bags. then the separated chamber will house my return pumps.

-Doc

slightly off exact subject and my scarceness may contribute to this, but I thought you were using your 125 as a sump. what are you doijg with this one?

The way my stand was being built, I would need to make so many stupid modifications, that I am not competent to make, that I tossed out the idea altogether. I got a 90 gallon sump for $45 last night and now I am cleaning it out and fixing it up to house my LR, two protein skimmers, carbon, etc.

I finished my stand today (pics on my build thread) and now I am going to finish the sump.

After I transfer all the fish and such into the new tank, I am selling the 125 and the stand (no room for 2 huge tanks) and using the money to buy more fish and corals. I will sell it to a forum member (hint, hint) for $200, but if I have to sell it on craigslist or KSL classifieds, I am listing it at $300.

I hope to have this all done by next week and I will be able to settle down in front on my shark in a week!

-Doc

:frustrat::frustrat::frustrat: i would give you 300 if i had a place for it. money isn't my issue :D im single :bounce:

I feel your pain. I had to pass up a 500 gallon monstrosity due to lack of space....er, a way to get it into my house. Sorry, but I just wanted to tempt you

-Doc

Back