What to do with used LiveRock?

RNich34

Reefing newb
I am inheriting 80-90lbs of live rock with this 55 gallon tank that I am picking up tomorrow. Should I keep it and reuse it, or sell it? The thing that might worry me is that I don't know where it came from, and would rather sell it and start from scratch with some dry rock that I know where it came from. How much do you think I could sell it for?

Thanks.

LR goes for about $3-5 per pound here in Orlando but might depend on where you are. Try looking for other people selling it on craigslist to see what the average rate is in your area.

I personally would keep it, it has all the necessary bacteria you need while dry rock will take forever to become live which sucks when you are starting out and are itching to buy new fish and corals.

I would probably go with 90% new live sand and use 10% of theirs because again it has the bacteria that is critical to your tank.

By using live rock and sand that is seeded with beneficial bacteria you wont have to wait so long to stock your first fish

But that is just my opinion I am sure others would want new clean rocks. I personally bought my rocks right out of the Gulf of Mexico so who knows what was on it but it was natural and thats what a reef is.

If I had live rock that I didn't trust, IE: A tank that was having an Ich outbreak......I would just sterilize it by boiling. I WOULD'NT SELL IT!!!

Last edited:
screenshot20120628at843.png

That is his picture, not mine. I pick it all up tomorrow. I haven't gotten to see it yet, but I am waiting to get a RO filter for water, which will be about a week or 2 until then. Am just wondering what I should do.

That tank is too small for that kind of angel. I would trade him in for some in store credit. Why do you not trust the live rock? Do the fish in the tank look unhealthy? If not, I would just buy new sand...scape the tank & call it a day!!

Last edited:
I haven't gotten to see the LR yet, although I am just prepping for the worst.

It's a Koran Angelfish. Which should be like a 13" fish, right? And there is also a Goby. Not sure on the type of Goby though.

Also, what should I do with my 20G Long?

And I am currently waiting on a Reverse Osmosis water filter. Would the water be ok for a week or 2 as long as I don't add any other fish or anything to the system? Or where can I get some RO water?

edit: Or, would it hurt to leave the LR out of water for the week or 2 and just keep 20-40lbs in the 20G with the Goby and then move it over when the other tank gets cycled?

You can get RO from you LFS (local fish store). If they dont sell it than you can also use distilled water from a grocery store, but whatever you do...get rid of or rinse the hell out of that old sand b/c when you break down that tank all kinds of nasty stuff is gonna get stirred up. I would just buy new sand, it's just not worth the trouble.

I would'nt leave the rock out of the tank, I would just set the whole tank up with new sand. You can also use that 20 gal as a temporary home for the goby til the big tank clears up.

I just located a store that sells RO. I am going to rinse out the entire bottom of the tank and put new sand in. 50 pounds would be enough I'm guessing. What's the usual price on RO water? and would leaving them out be ok for over night? As I am getting the tank at night time and the store will be closed.

no, the rocks need to stay submerged otherwise you will have massive die off. If you cant put them in the tank right away, just leave them in the bucket you moved them in with water covering them until you can put them in the tank

That's what I thought. I will just leave them in the buckets until I can get the water the next day. Thanks. Am looking forward to getting this!

Chuck has you covered...i personally wouldn't sell the rocks, but boil them like mentioned and start over with them.

I couldn't sleep at all last night. I was too excited. When I boil it, do I just dip it? Or leave it in for a little whole?

I will check the coloring and smell it before hand. Of it smells alright then I will leave it be.

Last edited:
Before you decide to do anything with the rock, you want to ask the previous owner if they ever used any medications in their tank (especially copper medications). If they have used copper (like to treat ich), then the rock is shot and you will have to toss it.

You should also try and get some good pictures of the rocks before you take them down, if they are covered in pest you want a plan of action to deal with them and some pests just arent worth trying to get rid of.

So what am I looking for on the rock? I'm not going to be restacking the rock until tomorrow so what are some signs? I know to smell it and if it's brown or green then it's no good. But what else?

It looks alright in the picture and he says the tank has been established for 5 years.
54 gallon corner setup complete tank ,stand ,filter, protein skimmer 1 year old 2 koralife wave maker fans and magnum hot 250 been set up 5 years 80-90lbs of live rock worth 400 easy 24inch saltwater light may have extra bulbs a Koran Angel and a Gobie will give test kits and salt

That's all the info I have. Can anyone give me an estimate as to how much everything might be worth?

It's hard to say with used stuff. It depends how well it was taken care of. It would also depend a lot on what kind of light he is selling with the tank. It probably at the least needs new bulbs and you might want a different light if you are going to keep coral.

PS The tank excitement keeping you awake is something I can relate to. Welcome to the addiction ;)

Back