what to get

johno1973

Reefing newb
I am finally ready to start putting corals in my tank. What would you guys suggest as a first specimen? I am looking for something colorful. Other than that I don't have much preference except something forgiving as this will be my first.

Yep,rics and shrooms are a great 1st ,2nd and 3rd corals:lol:...i am slowly building my shroom tank...2 rics are also splitting and shrooms are starting to spread :bounce: happy times

That is what I was leaning toward. Just wanted some input on something I might not have thought of. I am not afraid of a great deal of care but I don't want to watch my corals die because I didn't quite understand all of their needs. I would rather start off with something a little forgiving and work my way up.

Ahh,yes i forgot all about those....i really like my hammer,and i am planning on getting another one...just curios did you say what lights you had?

From the pics I have seen I do like frogspawns and hammers. They are very closely related aren't they? They look very similar at least. Torches I am not that familiar with I will have to find some. What are they listed under in live aquaria?
I have a 29g tank with 150w mh and 2x14w actinic t5s.

don't know much about MH's,but i would think thats plenty.....i have found with my hammer to fully open and extend it has to be in a pretty calm are of my tank

Ok, I have come to a decision. I WANT THEM ALL!!! I need a bigger tank. Looks like I have a lot of decision making ahead of me now that all of my equipment is here and working. One more question to help with this. Are there certain colors that look better under these lighting conditions than others? Which ones really pop out at you?

Nemo, the MH's are extremely bright, IMO anyway, just having freshwater in the past. At night, if I have them on, I don't need any other lights on in the living room. They light up just like I had my overhead lights on.

I don't think there are any corals that will look better than others under those lights. Your lights are great -- you should be able to keep whatever you want, and they will all look good!

Thanks guys. As always you are a wonderful resource for us noobs. I can't wait until I am a wise sage such as you. I will place my order next week, hopefully. Someday I will get some more pics up here.

We were all noobs at some point,and i myself am a noob to the coral side

so whats in the predator tank,some sort of piranha maybe?

Hey johno, just reading your tank descriptions. What exactly is a River Predator tank? Would love to see some pics

Well DUH! A tank full of these, I presume.

1987_predator_008.jpg

the predator tank is under reconstruction at the moment. I have recently traded in most of my son's goldfish and replaced them with shovel nose catfish, needle nose gar, and an African knife. I am in the process of replacing his colorful fake plants with live plants, stumps, and driftwood to create a river environment. The pics are on the desktop and I will post them later when I am able to get on there.

Back