What type of coral is this?

Ridrom

Reefing newb
Picked it up at the lfs yesterday. This morning it had cloudy white stuff coming off of one of the branches it is that normal?
DSC00660.jpg

DSC00659.jpg

looks like a Kenya tree to me....not sure though because to me colt and kenya corals pretty much look the same. What is the difference of the two?

I don't think anyone knows the difference. I guess if it behaves aggressively it’s a Colt and if not it’s a Kenya Tree.

Hey IraqVeteran, I'd like to offer my deepfelt thanks for your service.

That one could go either way.
The difference between a colt and kenya weed is the colts dont drop 500 babies a week.

I vote a kenya tree...... colt corals seem to have looser branches than a kenya..... the polyps or branches on that piece look pretty dense to me....... I've had colts drop babies too........ so that isn't a true sign either...... they are hard to tell the difference........ either way...... it's a nice piece....... enjoy it!

Thanks for all of the replies so i can assume if it drops lots of babies it's a kenya and if not it's a colt? now we play...the waiting game

LOL it's a tough call either way........ I do think when semi closed up....... kenya trees tend to look purplish too.... where colt corals tend to be more of a tan color.... it may just be the lighting..... but those look to have that "purplish tint"

Well with both colt and kenya tree corals looking similar do they both have similar needs (flow,lighting,placement)?

Yep, pretty much exactly the same. Really the only big difference is that kenyas are much more prolific reproducers and can spread to pest proportions, whereas the colts don't become infestations.

Back