what type of filter and protein skimmer should i use

BigSteve

Reeferhead
I need to buy a filter and protein skimmer for my 36 gallon bowfront tank and was wondering what kind i should buy. Years ago on my first saltwater setup the place I would go for supplies recommended I use this type of backpack filter/skimmer that were one and used bio balls for media, is this still the way to go? should I be using a seperate filter and skimmer? I plan to use my tank primarily as a reef tank with a few fish and because of the cost plan on taking my time establishing my tank. Any advice on filters and skimmers would be great. Thanks

Steve

Bioballs aren't recommended for reef tanks. They tend to lead to high nitrates. And if you have a decent skimmer and live rock, there's no need for any other type of filter. The best HOB (hang on back) skimmer brand that is still affordable is Octopus. Google Octopus skimmers to find where they are sold. Avoid SeaClones and Red Sea Prizms at all cost!

Daugherty turned me on to the Oct hob 800s - it's really great. I went through 2 other skimmers before finding one that works as easily and effectively. It pulls some foul stuff out of there...

i drilled a hole in the intake side so that the water flows into that instead of the return side i made the hole a bit lower than the overflow hole on the return side. this will help to make the skimmer a recirculating skimmer

Cool, thanks - good info. Do you use any media in your skimmer? I'm thinking about moving my heater into the skimmer based on a post there, would certainly take that unsightly looking thing out of the tank.
I'm thinking of trying to mod it so that the outflow doesn't point directly at the intake...

Cool, thanks - good info. Do you use any media in your skimmer? I'm thinking about moving my heater into the skimmer based on a post there, would certainly take that unsightly looking thing out of the tank.
I'm thinking of trying to mod it so that the outflow doesn't point directly at the intake...

no i dont have anything in there right now i have it off because i used some epoxy for corals to fix my sump and the skimmer went crazy and started overflowing almost as soon as i put the epoxy in the water.

I tried - it looks like it has a ring of glue around it or something...maybe I'll bang on it with a hammer, but I'm afraid the plastic will crack.

it could. i can take mine off it is a pain to do but maybe they glued yours? use the end of a ratchet and put that in the elbow and hold the down pipe and try and turn the elbow i dont think that i would bang on it with a hammer to much.

Back