What Type of Wrasse?

OmegaOmega

Reefing newb
I've seen some pics of green Wrasses' before but this has unusal brightly colors fins that I didn't see in other pics.

Also, he's incredibly aggressive to hermits - he's already picked three or four up, shaken them out of the shells and eaten them. He'll also 'tail-slap' the large turbo snails on the glass. I can hear their shells 'clank' against the glass - I'm worried he's trying to break their shells.

Reef friendly?

4637333222_a3606d06a2_b.jpg

A bird wrasse is not reef safe wrasse.Snails,crustaceans and small fish they can chop up to fit in their beak makes up the diet.

A bird wrasse is not reef safe wrasse.Snails,crustaceans and small fish they can chop up to fit in their beak makes up the diet.

Thank you - I couldn't find the description/pics for Bird Wrasse and when you posted, and I looked it up, it indeed is a Bird Wrasse.

I'm pissed - the LFS promised me it was reef safe and said they sell it to reef owners all the time...

I had my doubts when I watched it eating the hermits - it was a terrifying scene. He's beautiful but he's a terror! Now I'm gonna have the hardest time catching him :-/

Good luck catching him.Those things are extremely quick.
IF you catch him,slap the LFS employee that sold him to you and look for another LFS.

OK screw the F out of that. I took out eight large rocks and spent the better part of 45 minutes in there just now trying to catch him. He bit me. BIT me - did you read that. He essentially 'fragged' my arm skin and bit me.

Actually - let me rephrase. He assaulted me - this was a blatant attack. Does anyone have one of these Bird Wrasse? Have you ever had to catch it?

Has anyone used Tricain Methasnesulfonate or Benzocain to catch fish? I've used them in FW but dont' know if anyone's used it in SW w/ success?

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ohhhhhh.... Hahahaha!!!!!!!!

Sorry that I am laughing at your troubles, but you have a way with words that is thoroughly enjoyable!!

Sorry never heard of those being used in SW. I'd be afraid to try!

Let's hope you have a lot more hermits in your tank left for him. It's only a matter of time before he turns on your fish! ;)

Serious? Are they also aggressive to fish?

The thing I don't understand is he's left the Sally Lightfoot alone and the peppermint shrimp has gone up to him... the other fish (I even have a really small 3.4" clown) that are perfectly fine with him. It seems to be the Hermits, Turbo's and human flesh which arouse him the most.

Oh yes. If you have gobies, firefish or blennies especially, they could be goners.

Can become aggressive towards other tank mates, especially smaller fishes, and in particular avoid housing with small elongate shaped species, as in all likelihood they will be eaten.

Bird Wrasse Fish Profile - Green, Blue, Brown, Black Bird Wrasses Information and Pictures

What should I look for re: fish aggression? They all swim near him and generally don't move away from him as he comes near. That said, however, I've noticed the Sally Lightfoot run like hell when he's near. Ha - bet your light on your feet now... BAM.

OK screw the F out of that. I took out eight large rocks and spent the better part of 45 minutes in there just now trying to catch him. He bit me. BIT me - did you read that. He essentially 'fragged' my arm skin and bit me.

I'm no expert in the catching of fish, but most people use a net. I'm just sayin':bounce:

try a sheet of glass of acrylic so that you can make a wall in the tank to section it off then remove the rocks out of that side and then just push the fish to the one side to make it so that there is less room for him to move.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH

I'll tell you how we catch them at the LFS.
2 people with 2 nets each.He'll EVENTUALLY run into one of the nets,IF their big enough.
Or you could run down to your local wal-mart and pick up a small sinking trout fly.Get one that looks as close to a hermit as possible.Either use a file or pliers to remove the barb from the hook.
Once you've got him hooked,just remove the fly,place the wrasse in a bucket and return him to the store.

Back