What would cause this?

rdahlke1105

I'm a girl.
Yesterday's test results.

Temp: 79.2
Salinity: 1.025
PH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .10 (the color was actually between .25 and 0 so I guessed.)
Nitrate: 20

Todays:
Temp: 79.3
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.2
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10

I have NOT done a WC and all I'm running in the back chambers is floss.

You might have some algae beginning to grow somewhere. Im not sure if you are the person im thinking of, but dont you have some cyano like stuff growing? That could be taking up those nutrients.

Actually I don't think it was cyano when I went to blow the stuff of with a turkey baster it blew like dust, not "slimy". So I am thinking it was diatoms. Though I did notice some hair algae starting to grow.

The hair algea could be consuming the nitrates

Also, is the lighting the same? Sometimes just a different type of light makes the colors look different. Could just be less sunny our today than it was yesterday.

I think he is talking about the colors of the test. Lighting can really effect the colors you see, which is why i try and make the lighting consistent when i check my tests.

Actually I always test in the same place. That area doesn't get direct light either. When I'm testing I always have my back to the where the light is coming from and hold it directly in front of me and have the tube actually against the card to eliminate the possibility of outside light effecting the reading. But this is an actual color change. I think its probably the hair algae that is starting to creep up like little_fish said.

Possible. The nitrates showed up for the first time 5 days ago and were between 5 and 10, went up to 20 and stayed there for 4 days. Today was the first day it dropped to 10. I was thinking you wouldn't see your nitrates drop until you did a WC, but I could be thinking wrong.

No, it just means something else is using them up. If i were you, i would do a water change and it sounds like your tank is ready for its first fish! Although, it is always wise to wait a couple of extra days after your water change to make sure that your dont have another mini cycle.

Congratulations!

Man that chemi-pure really works. I am getting ready to mix the water for the water change that I will be doing tomorrow. Today's test results

Temp: 79.5
Salinity: 1.024
PH: 8.4
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 0

Back