whats a refugium?

mcazurin

Reefing newb
hey guys....another dumb questions for all you pro reefers.....wats a refugium? wats da difference between a wet/dry filter with a refugium and without one?

A fuge is a place for pods to reproduce safely and grow its also a place for some sand or live rock if wanted and a place to grow macro algae. A sump is a place for water to flow and you can put your skimmer and heaters in there. A wet dry is basicly a sump without a grow out area a refugium is a safe place to grow delcate stuff or stuff you dont want in your tank like macro.

yeah, exactly what bobby said...

another thing to add, it definitely isnt required. its a bonus though. i dont have one on my 30 gal. but if i did anything about a 55, i would put one just to have that extra water flow

A wet/dry filter is where air and water trickle on bioballs,bail.ceramic rings to break down ammonia and nitrite(hence the name wet/dry).Another benefit of wet/dry is a higher oxygen level.

Refugium is a place to cultivate macro algae and copepods away from predators they may consume them(hence the name).They also is use as a living filter,with a deeper sandbed,macro algae,live rock,and anerobic bacteria can go a step further and consume nitrate and phosphate.(BTW,macro algae releases oxygen as a by product so it can add oxygen also)

One more thing,,,what are your plans...full reef,fish only,or fish with live rock only?

Last edited:
I can't really add anything else to what's already been said aside from the fact that a refuge with macro algae can help stablize your PH, if it's run on a reverse photoperiod from your display tank.

Check out those articles that jhnrb linked for you...they'll help you out alot.

Back