Whats first

scu95821

Reefing newb
I think my tank is getting close to being ready. So what do I put in first. Do I need a CUC right away or can I go with fish?

Also can I use a power head to move the H2O around or do I need another koralia 2.

Kind of a stupid one but will fish get sucked into power heads?

Koralias are just a brand of powerhead. You can use another Koralia or a different type of powerhead. Fish won't get sucked into them as long as they're healthy. For a 55 gallon tank, you should have at least 2 or 3 powerheads.

I'd get one fish and a clean up crew to start.

I was thinking of my old fresh water powerhead that sucks in through a single tube instead of the whole back. I thought there'd be to much suction.
I guess I wont worry about it.
I'll look into the sureflow. Thanks.

What is a good crew for a 55 gallon. I keep finding deals on line should I just buy one of them. I wanted to get it local but haven't got a greatest help from the stores.

I'd stay away from hermits, and go with a variery of nassarius, turbo, and astrea snails, and maybe a serpent star (not green or yellow, though). Don't buy 50 though, a lot of stores try to tell you 1 snail per gallon, they will starve to death quickly with that many. Maybe 10 or 15 would be good, what do yall think?
For a fish, maybe start with 1 or 3 chromis. They're cheap, so if your water's off, it won't be such a wallet buster if they don't make it. Stay away from damsels, as they can be very aggressive. hth

I have a koralia and they are popular. I don't like the way they jut out into the tank. I wish I had just got a regular and smaller power-head with the same flow rate.

For a new tank, I think it's probably wise to go ahead and get 1 fish and a CUC. I was told 1 crab and 1 snail per gallon when I started out in this hobby about 2.5yrs ago. I think that's a little much and you could go with 1/2 that. Maybe 1 crab and 1 snail per every 2g-3g of water? Seams no matter how hard I try, my snails and crabs just die off slowly. It's taken 2yrs for my original CUC to die off. My 30H display was down to a handful of astrea snails and only 2 red leg hermits before I restocked last week. I added a couple small turbos and 20 assorted red and blue hermits.

I hate crabs........ but I just added a CUC to my 29g frag system too. I added 10 astrea snails, 2 nessarius snails, 10 blue leg hermits, 3 red leg hermits, 1 mexican turbo snail. I put the nessarius snails in the DSB in the 20H fuge. Also about 5 hermits, 2 margarites and 2 astrea snails to the fuge. The rest of them went into the 29g tank. Nothing in the sump.

I just printed your list and I'm gonna buy them tonight and a fish tomorrow. I may need need more later but that looks like a good start.

I am working on a sump with a fuge but that may be a couple months before it gets done.

I would make sure you go light on the CUC to start with. You really dont have that much in there for a full fledged CUC. Start small and work your way up.

Crabs have a helluva lot more personality than snails, and more fun to watch in my opinion. What seems to be working for me are some mexican turbos which the hermits won't bother, some hermits, and nass snails.

Featherdusters ARE cool. But they need PRISTINE water conditions that are very very very very stable. I wouldn't try it until you've had the tank running about 6 months.

My list was just for a 29g tank. If we're talking about your 55g tank, I'd run with about 20 astrea snails and 20 hermits. Split the hermits between red leg and blue leg if you can get 'em. Maybe 1 or 2 mexican turbos and a nassarius snail if you have sand. Wait a few months and see what happens.

:Cheers:

Back