What's up with my open brain?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I've had him for months.
He's been slowly losing his color to the point that i thought I was seeing skelton but then today he is all puffed up. He's just clearish-white rather than eye-popping colorful.
I've tried moving him around the sand bed from open center, to the sides with much less light, to the shade under an overhang. Nothing seems to help. What else would be causing this?

He used to look like this

20110816DSC2330130gReef-M.jpg

I was having alot of trouble with my brain also, Then I put him up on a little bit if rubble and got him off the bed and he responded quickly to the move.. was something about the bed that was irritating him..

I was a demo today for the same LED lighting you have and the guy's biggest complaint coral wise was that it was melting his brains, even at the low power. His fix was to move them to edges of the tank or try and shelter them some way.

I was a demo today for the same LED lighting you have and the guy's biggest complaint coral wise was that it was melting his brains, even at the low power. His fix was to move them to edges of the tank or try and shelter them some way.

Ya, that's what I was wondering but the flesh of the brain is still there, it just looks like the color "flaked" off. Plus all my other corals looks good, even the lower light stuff. :dunno:
Maybe I'll try getting him off the sand. Since it's color I figure it's either a light issue or a food issue. I don't spot feed anything in my tank.

thats what was happening with mine I never saw the feeders come out then started watching him closer during the day and he was almost getting white near the middle.. moved him off the sand the color got better and I started seeing the feeders come out at night again...

Back