What's wrong with my Xenias?

Picasso

Seahorse Whisperer
I've got three frags of Xenias in three different tanks, none of them pulse. What am I not giving them?

Thanks,
Catherine

Xenias will stop pulsing sometimes.It dont mean theres actually anything wrong with em.
Seems like they pulse more in tanks with more nutrients than they do in tanks with higher water quality.JMO.

how long have they been in the tanked??

I've had them for about 2 months, I had all three in my pony tank and they were in high water flow and I didn't notice if they pulsed or not. I moved two out about a month ago, one to my 20 gallon and one to my 15 gallon. They all have some water movement but not as strong as before. I'll add some vitamins and see if that gets them going.

thanks,
C

I believe different types of xenias pulse and some do not, when I first bought xenia i bought 2 different ones , one is shorter and pulses liek crazy the other seems to be longer and kinda sways in the current but never really pulses... yours could not pulse because if your new like i was your moving styuff around constantly sometimes that could make corals not want to do things... if you saw them pulsing in the store, then they shoudl pulse in yoru aquarium...

Xenias can be super easy tank weeds, or can die for absolutely no apparent reason all of a sudden.
I read a book where a coral farmer (had THOUSANDS of xenias in a greenhouse frag farm) who said when his pH dropped below 8.2, they would ALL stop pulsing. He was not suggesting that pulsing is directly related to pH quality, but was just making an interesting observation.

I've had them for about 2 months, I had all three in my pony tank and they were in high water flow and I didn't notice if they pulsed or not. I moved two out about a month ago, one to my 20 gallon and one to my 15 gallon. They all have some water movement but not as strong as before. I'll add some vitamins and see if that gets them going.

thanks,
C

i bought a xenia frag about three months ago
its now a whole pulsing colony
medium flow
mid height in tank
anyway, as long as they look healthy i would worry about it
the big thing is find the spot they like and leave them alone
they will spread like weeds
some xenias only pulse at night and not during the day
and some xenias cease to pulse once in an aquarium
in reading about them, the pulsing is not for eating its most likely for gas exchange
however they dont have to pulse to be healthy

I once read that pulsification of xenia showed direct correlation to potassium levels in the water. That is, xenia began to pulse when potassium was added. I have not personally tested this however.

I also found this chart that may be helpful:

issue . . . . . . . suggested points to investigate:

never pulses ------>species, light intensity, water clarity, low alkalinity
pulses periodically ------>unstable water chemistry. activated carbon. additives.
stopped pulsing---------->temperature too high/low. low ORP. aggression.

Back