When can I start putting some inverts in?

Keaton

Reefing newb
My cycle is complete and I was wondering when I can start putting some cleaning crew in my DT? I'd like to get a peppermint shrimp and an emerald crab. Is it too early still or will they be ok? My nitrate readings for the most part read 0 on a consistant basis now and I have a couple turbo snails that are doing well. Any advice would be helpful..thanks in advance.

I would wait on the peppermint because shrimp are more sensitive to water parameters and an emerald crab should have a more established tank.

I would add your first fish actually, add some more snails also.

sorry I noticed from another thread you do have fish, wait a couple weeks and then add the spring, I would look into the skunk cleaner or fire shrimp too

you can put in some snails now and see how they do. I would wait another month before adding any shrimp. They are said to be pretty sensitive to new tanks.

Crabs and more snails would be fine now. Like others have said, I'd give your tank a month of having stable parameters before adding shrimp or starfish.

I waited about 2 months after mine cycled to put in a shrimp...but they are amazing when you get them...
oh and P.S. beer is one of my interest too!

yea...I would wait on the emerald crab. They have crazy appetites. I got one and it cleaned out all my algae. I'm feeding them with dried seaweed now and my snail died from starvation. They wouldn't eat the seaweed. As for the shrimp, I got mine after a month and they are doing great. It's really up to you to take the risk. They aren't exactly cheap and its a waste when they die from our greed.

Last edited:
If not an emerald crab then any suggestions? I was thinking a purple lobster but I heard they too will opportunisticly eat fish. I really want something along the lines of a crab or lobster, just think it would look cool. Thanks

Emeralds crabs won't eat your shrimps or fish.It would take a fully grown emerald to kill them which would take years and years.They make good additions if you have hair algae.

May I suggest a Skunk Cleaner shrimp or Fire Shrimp when the time comes.Both kinda look like a lobster(especially the Fire)but are way easier than lobsters.Both are 100% safe around fish,inverts,corals-in general any reef system.

Emerald crabs are 99% reef safe. It's rare to find one large enough that will go after fish or other animals. The vast majority of them just eat algae and detritus. I've always had them in my tanks without a problem.

I no longer do crabs of any kind or size. If you are willing to do at least a water change of around 5 percent every week I would go ahead and get your shrimp. I really like peppermint shrimp and love to watch coral banded shrimp. They have personality, and gutsy little things they are.

I wouldnt go with a purple lobster....youll more than likely never see it once it is in the tank. They really like to hide. I used to have one in a bigger tank and I never saw it. As far as emerald crabs, I enjoy them. They do wonders on bubble algae as well as some small hair algae. I have never heard of them eating fish though.

A sally lightfoot is a great addition as well. Ive kept them with great luck. I try not to keep too many crabs and shrimp though unless you plan on supplementing their food. In a smaller tank turbo snails do great for grazing the algae off of the rock and peppermint shrimp will take care of the aiptasia problem, if you have that problem. In my 30gal Ive got 2 turbo snails and 2 peppermint shrimp. The shrimp like to eat the flake food I put in for the fish.

A skunk (aka cleaner) shrimp is an excellent choice also. If you ever find a "boxer crab" in a store I would buy it. In my old tank I had two of them that I paid about $20 each for and they lasted for about 1 1/2 years. They were very cool to watch. Good luck finding them though. I havent seen them in a store since that one time.

One thing to be concious of is that crabs are opertunistic predeters and will feed on anything including the snails that they can get their claws on. The smaller blue/red legg hermits do a great job cleaning but will kill off snails for their shells. Emerald crabs do a great job with algae and cleaning up uneaten food. beware though, they will grow fast and can damage coral going for food. I got rid of mine because they were tearing the flesh on my acans and micros trying to get the mysis when I would feed them. If you do not feed any of your corals I think you should be safe - I have read where there have been times when they would grab a small goby type fish - but I believe the fish must have been sick for the crab to get it. There have also been a lot of stories about them eating zoas. I have not had that experiance but have read alot of folks that have.
Coral banded shrimp are another story! They are super cool looking but they have an attitude!! They think they are a trigger or something. Mine used to chase my 3 1/2" maroon clown into her anemonie and then try to run across the nem. They will capture and mess with small fish and nip fins of larger fish. Mine never really did any real damage but he was a constant stress on my smaller fish. They will also kill other shrimp. But they are SUPER cool to have!
The cleaner shrimp would be a great addition. They are beneficial in that they will clean parasites off your fish and they are more out in the open than most of your other shrimps. The peppermint shrimp are cool too but most I have seen don't come out very much. Same with the blood or fire shrimp.

What kind of fish do you have so far? There are alot of options out there so just go slow and have fun! Let us know what you decide on.

the reason the peppermints don't come out much is because they are nocturnal. I would go with some peppermints and a skunk cleaner, I would skip all crabs except the emeralds

I HATE SALLY LIGHTFOOT CRABS!! They grow so fast, and before you know it, they are catching fish. Emerald crabs catching fish seems to be much more rare, and they don't grow as fast. I have hermits in my tank because I've had them since the beginning, but I decided not to replace any of them because I want to eventually be hermit free; they kill my snails.

I agree Biff Sally's are a pian in the butt. I think they are rally cool looking though! A local guy just caught both of his because they were eating small fish!

u would have to keep it in a single speismentank. i actully saw one the other day and the LFS i thought it was so cool the color on it was awsome. any ways i think a mantis shrimp is cool

a mantis shrimp would definetely need its own tank. They are attractive though. Except I saw this one mantis (it was more like a giant one) in a book that was all white with no other colors and the claimed it was several feet long. It was freaking gross looking.

Back