When to add corals

Add corals when you can keep consistent numbers on you test. PH, NO3, PO4, Alk, Mag and Calcium are the important ones. When you can keep you NO3 consistently at under 10ppm you are good to go as long as you have the proper light in my opinion.

You can add easy corals like some nice softies--mushrooms, for instance, pretty much whenever you want, as long as you have power compact or better for lighting. Do some research on low light demanding LPS if you like those too, some LPS can do very well under calm flow and low lighting. Sun corals are non-photosynthetic, they just need to be hand-fed a few times a week and are quite beautiful. Just some ideas...

Yeah, easy corals can do well in a tank that's just cycled. Mushrooms, zoathids, leathers, etc. I'd say wait a couple months to add corals that need more stable conditions like LPS.

That's cool. I didn't realize I could add even easy corals this early.

I had Nitrates early as my tank was cycling but I haven't had any since the second week of start up. Is this normal?

My Parameters have been good for the last two weeks or so.

I'm excited I can look at other things than fish. Not that I don't like them but I didn't get into this hobby just to keep fish.

The light I'm using is a Current Nova Extreme 4 bulb on a 55g

You will have no problem with ANY softies with that light. Go ahead and pick up a mushroom or 2 or maybe some polyps of some kind. Do some re search online for some hardy/beginner corals. liveaquaria.com is good for info on corals.

I'd say that about any of the soft corals would be good to start with.Zoanthids,xenia,leathers.Just what you do,DONT get a kenya weed oopps,I ment tree,kenya tree.:D

Corals do not affect the bioload on your tank correct? So theoretically... could you not just add a bunch providing your levels were steady and you took the time to research the various corals? (Soft and LPS)

Any limit?

Corals do not affect the bioload on your tank correct? So theoretically... could you not just add a bunch providing your levels were steady and you took the time to research the various corals? (Soft and LPS)

Any limit?

corals can do chemical warfare with other corals therefore overrunning your skimmer then causing problems with the other corals. Unfortunatly you must have patience in this hobby. It really is a very calming hobby though.

I was looking at some Candy Cane coral today at the LFS. They look really cool when they get big. I know they are LPS but that's about it, anything I should know before I add it to my wish list?

They are very easy. Probably one of the best LPS you can get. I have 5 different varieties of candy canes in my tank! They come in so many colors. They will appreciate being fed after the lights go out. They'll take meaty foods like mysis or brine, and you can target feed them with a turkey baster. They'll put their feeding tentacles out once it gets dark. And they multiply pretty quickly. Here are mine:

IMG_3579.jpg

IMG_3589.jpg

IMG_3481.jpg

IMG_3485.jpg

IMG_3469.jpg

Back