When to replace RO/DI filters?

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
How do you know when?
My TDS meter connected to the last stage still reads 2-3ppm in and 0 out.

But I'm still battling hair algae which means there's excess nutrients somewhere.

With all the Marine SAT, BioFuel, phosban and carbon in my tank I don't understand where it could still be coming from. :12:

Well, it's not your RODI filters, unless your TDS meter is broken (unlikely). RODI filters usually need to be changed about once a year, but the TDS reading is a better indicator than anything else.

do you have a refuge or any macro anywhere in your system? That could be a good looking/easier way to help control the hair algae.

do you have a refuge or any macro anywhere in your system? That could be a good looking/easier way to help control the hair algae.

Yup. It's small but I have a fuge in my sump with a dsb, live rock, chaeto and now mangrove seeds.

hopefully when those mangroves start growing that will help; also, have you ever thought about planting some shaving brushes? Apparently those are pretty good at cutting down nitrates and phosphates too

I have had a problem with hair algea, but it is under control now. It doesnt seem to recede very quickly at all. What I do is take the rock out at water change time and brush it with an old tooth brush in the bucket of old water. It isnt growing back but I still have it in my tank. Of course, some of the rock I am unable to take out and brush because it is 80% buried.

Brian

Back