where can i get???

sagent3000

Reefing newb
i am building my own skimmer. i does anyone know where i can get the neck part thats on the skimmer in the red box??

asmg412.PNG

Mostly theDIY skimmer people just cruise the lighting departments in stores such as home depot and buy a cheap hanging light with a cone shaped lenses they can cut down to work. Some heat up acrylic with a torch and deform it to a crude shallow cone. The fitting used above that is usually a large PVC pipe union. This site gives a down load for calculating how to cut the plastic needed to form any sized cone of any height (angle) out of acrylic. They also custom form cones, but charge $50 for the mold set up then a separate fee for each cone. Most DIY builders do not attempt to form their own cones. That is why so many are made of PVC plastic or if acrylic they are custom made rather than DIY if utilizing a tapered neck. There are a lot of strange things used for those tapered necks, like anything that will work that will bond to the other parts. he really good cones are formed with an inner and an outer form with the heated sheet plastic being put between the two molds. It requires two molds for every different cone and every different thickness. That is why cones are expensive when bought singly.

Back