Where else can i put a sump?

How should i hook up my sump to my 75 gallon aquarium

• Drill 2 holes (intake and return) in the middle of the tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4 tubes going over the aquarium (2 intake and 2 return) on each side of the tank

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

joshuacohenjc

Reefing newb
I had a 20 gallon aquarium since April and yesterday i bought a 75 gallon. i would like to make the 20 gallon into a sump for the 75 gallon but i need some help. the stand for the 75 was build weird. The inside is dived into 3 parts with wood so i cant fit an aquarium in there. i might be able to fit a 10 gallon longways but i don't think it would do much help (i want to add water volume). is there any other place i can do it.
Also what should be in the sump. i want to have a coppepod population in the refugium.
Also, i was told to never put a filter in a saltwater tank, is that true, because i had one with my 20 gallon.
Please help!!
thank you
:frustrat:

I had a 20 gallon aquarium since April and yesterday i bought a 75 gallon. i would like to make the 20 gallon into a sump for the 75 gallon but i need some help. the stand for the 75 was build weird. The inside is dived into 3 parts with wood so i cant fit an aquarium in there. i might be able to fit a 10 gallon longways but i don't think it would do much help (i want to add water volume). is there any other place i can do it.
Also what should be in the sump. i want to have a coppepod population in the refugium.
Also, i was told to never put a filter in a saltwater tank, is that true, because i had one with my 20 gallon.
Please help!!
thank you
:frustrat:

I think this should be moved into the Newbie section :)

A sump can go anywhere, really. People hide it because they're pretty dirty. I have mine in the room next door. a couple of people here have theirs in the basement.

You can have your fuge in the sump (you'll have to install baffles into your 20g -- mine had the intake on the left, then a triple bubble trap, the middle was the return, and the right had my fuge.

You can put a filter in your sump. Some people use a filter sock. But you must clean it off regularly, otherwise it will be a nitrate factory. Most of us don't use them. I don't, myself.

Dual uptakes and outtakes are the only way to go. A single pipe is asking for it to get clogged by a snail or other crawling creature. Clogged pipes are the cause of some horrendous tank disasters.

Back