where the heck is the coraline?

phuture1

Reefing newb
hi guys. my tank has been running for 1 year and there is not one stitch of coraline anywhere. what could i do to get it going?

Keep your calcium and alk up. Also, you need to have some LR with it on it for it to spread. Go to the LFS and buy a small piece of LR that is loaded with coraline. Then when you get it home, scrub the crap out of it in your tank with a toothbrush to spread out the spores.

+1 Bj

On a tip from Yote I did that 3 days ago to one of my tiny rocks that has coralline. All of a sudden there are pink and purple spots starting to form on the back glass.

thanks guys. my cal. and alk are 420 and 11. the only prob is that none of my lfs have any live rock with any coraline on it. can you believe it? very poor selections.

I have had quite a bit of luck with a 16 ounce bottle of B-Ionic Calcium Buffer which increases alkalinity and Calcium. I started to notice pretty significant results in about 2 weeks. One thing that helps is to make sure that your water quality is correct before you start. It's pretty easy to get going once you have decent lighting, good water quality and you use a calcium buffer.

it was mostly live rock. i was using io salt and didn't know that there wasn't enough cal. in it. i changed over to red sea coral pro and my cal. is good now for about 2 months. yet, still no coraline.

it was mostly live rock. i was using io salt and didn't know that there wasn't enough cal. in it. i changed over to red sea coral pro and my cal. is good now for about 2 months. yet, still no coraline.

The first time I cycled a tank with live rock every bit of the coralline on the LR turned white. It all died. None started to grow until I added a few coral frags that had some coralline on them. after that the stuff went freakin nuts.

im going to have to try the toothbrush idea. my coraline doesn't seem to be doing to much and its been in there for a while now

The first time I cycled a tank with live rock every bit of the coralline on the LR turned white. It all died. None started to grow until I added a few coral frags that had some coralline on them. after that the stuff went freakin nuts.

Aye, My tank has been up for about a month. All the Coralline on my Fiji Premium was white(with a few darker bluish patches). Then I replaced my "Shop Lights" with 216w T5 Florescent Light Fixture. 5 Days later I got little purple coralline spots forming already.

Since your tank has been up for a year... no clue if it stays dormant that long. Spore scrubbing with a toothbrush sounds like the best bet to me.

I do remember reading somewhere that coralline does better towards the blue side of the lighting spectrum (I use 2 actinic and 2 12000k)

Back