Where to get live rock?

Shep

Reefing newb
Hey

Ok, I did not know what section to post this under but I guess live rock is "equipment". I have been buying mine from a guy on Ebay, at first I was really happy with his live rock but I have not been lately. So where do you guys get your live rock from? I was thinking of Liveaquaria.com but they are kind of expensive.

If you already have live rock in your tank, then it will be cheaper to get dry rock from local vendors and let them get colonized over time.

Getting live rock for a colonized tank is only for times when you want to play the "hitchhiker lottery".

For dry rock, you should cure it in RO/DI water to be sure. And rinse/repeat at least a couple of times.
There is no telling what kinds of things the rock may have come in contact with before you got it.

Ok, I will look at my local shop to see their selection but assuming they don't have a lot or its crappy, should I buy online or take a road trip?

I purchased dry rock at dr. Foster and smith and that stacked amazing! They have alot of deals month to month, so check them out. Expect 6 months before it becomes lr and to actually help in the biofiltration.

Did you buy from Foster & Smith or Liveaquaria? What about Bulk Reef Supply? I have seen a lot of people say good things about on here.

Just check out the deals out there. At the time i purchased it, dr. Foster and smith(live aquaria) was 20 bucks cheaper and 10lbs more. Brs is also a great company, they all get themselves into a bidding war at times and the consumer wins.

Sweet, thanks for all the great information everyone! I might(probably) will be asking more questions later

+1 Everyone.
The best dry rock you want to be looking at, is very porous. Dont let the LFS persuade you to get something. My LFS tried to get me to buy huge chunks of solid rock, saying it was "good" live rock.

Back