Where to purchace any coral

Yeah, it depends on what size tank you have 25 watts over.

Most corals need a minimum of 4 watts per gallon. More challenging corals need upwards of 8 watts per gallon. It also depends on what kind of lights you have (T5, PCs, metal halide, regular fluorescents, etc). Can you tell us what kind of lights you have, the brand and what size tank it's on?

It is a 25 Watt flourescent and a 10 G. I think I am moving to Winchester? From Iowa soon... I am doing research right now so i know what to expect once i set one up in VA. I can purchace a higher wattage one though once i get there so maybe a 45 Watt for a 10 G? the extra 5 just to be safe?

HAHA :bounce: ur funny... LOL> I'm 15... I cant afford $144.95 for one lightbulb... Is there any other way to go... If not i can figure out something...

With the lights you have right now, you will not be able to keep corals. You have a 15 watt regular fluorescent bulb over a 10 gallon tank, and that is not enough even for the lowest light coral. Sorry...

The truth is, this hobby is expensive. You can get good deals on used equipment oftentimes, but it is still way more expensive than freshwater. If you can't afford proper lighting now, maybe you can ask for a light for Christmas or save your allowance (if you get one), or try to convince your parents to pitch in and help.

well they are paying me back $90 for the freshwater fish i had to get rid of because i'm moving half way across the country from Iowa to Virginia. I cut the grass for $20 every week and I have $30 right now... But i'm gonna get a new CD so more like $12. Could I just get a higher wattage like 85 watt flourescent for a 20 g? Or a 45 w flourescent for the 10 G? Or does it absolutly need to be a T5 lighting system? (EDIT) Oh and Another light i have is 25 Watts but still not enough... (EDIT)

a 45 watt would be good because that gives you 4.5 watts per gallon but with that your limited to the low light corals, like mushrooms and ricordeia. and you can save your money on cd's if you download them

dont try and rush into this hobby you need to be patient and do it right or you will waste a lot of money and animals

I agree, try a fish only for a while and see if salt is what you really want to do. you can do some clown gobies, a few snails, or some other small animals. You most likely would not succeed with corals on the limited budget you currently have. good luck with your project.

While I understand funds are tight at 15 (I have a fifteen year old myself), it is unlikely you will be able to keep any corals without a decent light. I would be patient and look for a used T5. Keep an eye on Craigs List or the local paper, or even sites such as this one for someone selling an old set cheap.

Back