Where to put ATO sensor?

BL1

I should hopefully be setting an ATO up this weekend but, I'm not sure where to put the sensor. I'm thinking it should go in the section of my refugium with my return pump. But, the reason I'm not sure is because the water level will drop in that section, sometimes as much as 2 inches and my salinity doesn't change.

Im guessing as long as its setup and you know the correct level of water for that section it shouldnt be an issue, Ive been told when setting up my tank to mark a minimum and maximum level for when the pump is and isnt running so we can find the optimal level to keep the water at.

I dont see a problem, but all levels in your refugium should change equally? unless im wrong there, cause thats what mine seems to do.

Also, it would be a good space because you always want water above the pump, and if it drops there you can really damage that pump.

If im way off tell me, but thats my opinion lol

the water level in the first two sections of the refugium should not change, the can only get so high because of the overflow, and they can't get lower or they wouldn't drain to the next section.
I think it goes in the pump area since like you said, don't want it to get too low. Just wanna make sure so I don't end up lower or raising my salinity by accident

Yea, I get the feeling that that is the right area to have it, especially if what you said is true about only that area changing water levels. maybe I didnt pay enough attention there haha

Your return section.
With the ATO the water level shouldn't drop much at all.
The whole point of the ATO is too keep your water level as level as possible, thereby not creating shifts in salinity or allowing the water level to drop to the point of burning out your pump.

Thanks Dennis, that's what I thought. I just can't figure out why my water level is changing there but, my salinity isn't

Salinity doesnt change when water evaporates because only fresh water evaporates. Thats why when you refill your tank you use fresh water. Only put in salt water when you take out salt water.

If water is evaporating, your salinity is rising...it has to. Less water = higher salt concentration. Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer to measure salinity?

If water is evaporating, your salinity is rising...it has to. Less water = higher salt concentration. Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer to measure salinity?

Yeah but unless you are evaporating a ton of water I doubt you would see a huge difference in the salinity. Unless its a smaller tank.

I'm using a refractometer

Yeah but unless you are evaporating a ton of water I doubt you would see a huge difference in the salinity. Unless its a smaller tank.
I only have a 28g tank with maybe 8-10g in my refug. I would think that there would be a noticeable change in salinity if I've had a 1-2" level difference in my return section.

Hey BL

I use mine in my fuge section but the only reason I do that is because I have a short baffle between the fuge and return. Baffle is only like 4in high to keep the rubble out.

Put the sensor in the section with your return pump.Thats where the water level drops during evaporation.

That's what I thought. I've got it all ordered so it should be arriving on monday. One less thing I'll have to worry about throughout the day!

See my water level drops in my fuge and return section egual until 4ins off the bottum of my sump. I did my sump this way to allow more water for my return to draw from and to eliminate air bubbles getting into my DT

I probably could have done it that way but, I've always planned on having an ATO so shouldn't be an issue with less water (hopefully)

Back