Where to put my new rics?

chipmunkofdoom2

Reefing newb
So I'm getting my 2 rics I ordered on Wednesday. My only concern is where to put them. Should they go about half way up or should I put them on the bottom to start with? If it helps, my 29 is only 18" tall all together, and from substrate to water level is about 15". The half way rock is about 9" below the surface.

I have a dual PC fixture with a 420/460 actinic bulb and a daylight 10000K/6700K bulb for a total of 130 watts. I've read the general idea is to assume your light higher than what they're used to and adjust from there. I'm wondering if this was only directed to MH users? Thanks for the input!

Might as well include some pics from the guy's site :^:

fvg100.jpg

And the other

2qwd368.jpg

Haha, it's so weird hearing that my compact florescents are actually too strong for a coral when most of the aquarists talk down on them. On the bottom seems like the popular vote. Anybody else want to chime in?

Okay. Now most people quote them as low to medium flow. I marked up areas of my tank. Which do you guys think would be best for flow?

29567o1.jpg

The powerhead with an x over it is now on the wall to the right of it and it's flowing to the left. Area 2 and 4 are right under flow sources, one being my Whisper 30 and the other being my Maxi 400. I'm not sure if they would count for high flow areas because neither of the flow sources point straight down. Area 6 might not be the best because if you look at the fixture, the bulbs end before that area, so it's not under direct light.

#3 IMO. muschroom corals and ricordias dont spread as much in the sand as they do on the rock. They also like low flow areas in my experience.

You should start all corals low no matter what lights you have. They are all putting off different PAR and can harm corals. Slowly work them up to the stronger light.

Back