Which anemone?

Bifferwine

I am a girl
Since I just upgraded my lights, I'm now ready to start adding some more inverts and corals to my tank (I currently only have fish, live rock, snails, crabs, shrimp, mushrooms, and xenia). I want to get an anemone for my tomato clown and am looking at either a bubble tip, carpet, long tentacle, or sebae. At least, those are the four that my LFS recommended. Which would you recommend? Thanks.

How long has your tank been up and running? I think it would be a good idea to wait until the tank has been stable for at least 6 months. Some may say a year. Anemones are very sensitive to their water conditions. I would agree with jhnrb about the bubble tips. I have a large green bubble with a gold stripe maroon hosting and they are a lot of fun to watch. Just do a lot of research first before you buy. They can be a wonderful addition to your reef. Just remember they get big and they don't always stay where you want them. It is a good idea to get one before your tank is loaded with coral. That way if the nem decides to "walk" around it won't sting a bunch of stuff. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted with your progress. HTH

Thanks for the info. My tank has been stable for about nine months now. I have two big protein skimmers that run full time and ammonia is at 0, my nitrates have always been around 5, so I think my water quality is good enough to start moving more stuff in. I know to add the anemone before corals; I only have xenia and mushrooms. So it looks like I'll be getting the bubble tip. Thanks again for the help.

A long tenticle would be nice to.Carpets can be dangerous and eat tank inhabitants.seabas are real nice,but most of time you get them they are half dead,and can be difficalt to keep healthy.I have had one for year,and I am fighting to keep it living right now.I dont remember if you have clown fish,if so it will help aclimate the anenome to your tank

I got my bubble tip from the LFS and read on marinedepot.com that they recommend 12 watts/gallon for lighting for this type of anemone. Seems quite high. What do you guys think is okay?

Go to the Helpful articles and on page one you will find an article labled ANEMONE (primer). This article will answer most your questions. keep us posted. always remember as a general rule, once you have decided to go with a certain animal, make sure your system has the proper equipment to support the animals required environment. Good luck with your anemone.

I think that is a little for bubble tips. I currently have approx 6 watts/gallon over my 75 - I have a large green bubble that is doing very well. It swells to approx 12" across. I do feed it 2 a week. Either pieces of raw shrimp or silversides cut in half. You don't want to feed it anything that is mush larger that it's mouth. Got any pics of the new nem?

Yes I posted that article from Marine depot because I felt it was accurate for long term success. There are no set rules, but once you have an animal that has survived for 2 or three years then you know your system is adequate. anyways, you can do as you feel confortable with, but, I stand by the 9 watts per gallon for anemonies for long term success although there will be lots of those who will have thriving systems with anemonies with less light. so you will need to be the judge what you need for your system by watching your anemone and feeding properly. hope this clears it up. good luck keep us posted. pics please.

That's a relief to hear. All the other articles I read about bubble tips indicated that my lighting was sufficient (I just got new T5s and am very happy with them so far). Mine is very small right now (about the size of a softball) but it took food from me (part of a Formula 1 cube and some squid) on the second day and my clown has been feeding it too, so I think it's doing well so far, although it did move to the back and doesn't get the best lighting where it's sitting...

Last edited:
It will need some time to adjust. sounds like you are doing ok for starters. good luck with you project and keep us posted.

Back