Which lighting would be better?

mcritter86

Reefing newb
55 gallon tank. Have only 1 watt LEDs right now. Would like to upgrade lighting so I know corals will be okay when I add them. I have seen these two fixtures that I like. Wonder what you guys think and if any of you have any suggestions. I would love to have blue LEDs for nights, the best lights for day for the corals, and I'm guessing the actinic is to simulate sunrise and sunset? I could not find a lot of info for them.

Option 1:
Coralife Lunar Aqualight Quad T5 HO Aquarium Light Fixture - Fish Tank Lights from petco.com
Only thing I am wondering about is there are only 2 T5s for the day. Should I need 4 so it can reach all the way down?

Option 2:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-08607-Aqualight-Fixture-48-Inch/dp/B0049PU8BI]Amazon.com: Coralife 08607 Lunar Aqualight High Output T5 Quad Lamp Fixture, 48-Inch: Pet Supplies[/ame]
Same thing but 4 daylight and no actinics.

Again, any links to other fixtures is welcome! Would like to keep it around 200-300. Can go up to 4 but would like not to.

Good looking fixture. Are just 2 Metal Halides enough? What are the actinics for? Is that to sim sunrise and sunset? I cannot hang the lights. That would be pushing it with the better half :mrgreen:

With that light I would run Actinics all day, from 7am -9pm say, and then I would have a timer, that automatically turned my Halides on at lunch time for maybe 2-3 hours depending. (Start of with smaller hours and work your way up as not turn harm any corals).
Then the leds come on at night.

Thanks for all the info Waddi! I don't have any corals in the tank yet, just fish. I have already bought one of those power strips that each plug has a timer from Petsmart that I plan to use for the light.
May purchase this tomorrow morning to see if anyone else has any suggestions.

Back