Which lights are better

Reefgyrl

Reefing newb
Thinking of switching out my lights because it is so expensive to change these pc's every 6month. Does anyone use vho's or t5's? I don't want to go with halides.

Would four 48 inch t5's be enough on my 55? That would be 216 watts. That seems low to me, but I don't know a whole lot about them.

If you can go with a 6 bulb fixture with individual reflectors,that would be better.But 4 would give you plenty of light for soft corals and some LPS.

I have this fixture over my 55 gallon dominated SPS tank
Aquarium Specialty
You will not be disapointed. You will be able to keep any type of coral/clam with this light. I actually bleached a few of my SPS with this light, that basically tells you its powerful:frustrat:

No matter what T5 light fixture you choose, just make sure it has individual reflectors.

A four bulb fixture with individual reflectors will be enough for a 55g.Going with 5 or 6 would be even better if you chose so.

I used a four bulb T5 fixture over my old 55 gallon tank, and I kept SPS and an anemone. Of course, going with a fixture with individual reflectors will be better, but I think the one you're looking at is fine too.

I still use the same fixture as biff used to, its 4 bulb t5 with no individual reflectors and Ive had a clam, sps, lps, soft corals, anything, just starting ad adventure into keeping a sebae anemone alive and I have too much light for it and I'm blocking it right now and easing it into full light. My tank is 3" shorter than a normal 55 gallon tank though. I would highly recommend this:
Aquarium Lighting for Reef Systems: Current Nova Extreme Pro Saltwater T-5 Fixtures
They are great lights, my friend has them on his 75 gallon and they are amazing for the price.

thats a good buy, i'm gonna switch out my metal halides on my 125 and add nova xtreme pro 72" fixture, less heat and less power consumption but individual reflectors double light output.

T5-VHO is fairly new.Icecap makes a special ballast that overdrives T5-HO bulbs going from 54w to 80-85w on the standard 48'' bulb.At one time it reduce the bulb life expectancy 1/3 but manufactuerers have came out with T5-VHO bulbs that doesn't have the problem.HO is fine,T5-VHO even better if you chose that route.

These are nothing like the fatty VHO bulbs.T5-HO and T5-VHO puts out a ton more light than the old VHO bulbs.

Anyone have the Tek Lighting? I don't know, I was going to do a retro fit ,but I don't think they will fit, too long. For just a little more I can get The Nova Pro. Decisions Decisions............ Thanks for all the help everybody.

The Tek or the Nova Pro are good.I would chose the Tek over the Nova Pro for two reasons.It has true individual reflectors and I ratther chose my own bulbs.You do save about $70 with Nova Pro over the Tek/6 bulb.

Back