Which salt should I try next

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
Hope everyone's tanks are doing well,

So here's my dilemma. When I first started my tank a year ago I was using aquavitro salinity. My tank was thriving when everything was dialed in right. I saw new growth all the time. But then I switched to regular instant ocean because I started mixing my own salt. Man I am not impressed with this stuff at all. My corals aren't flourishing like they once were. Growth is so slow. and I have all my parameters in check of course. But my calc stays at 450 and alk at 10.9 and mag at 1400. So nothing weird. Since Im the dad of my tank, I just know that I know that I know its the salt. Maybe aquavitro made me spoiled. But I need a new salt to try. I would go back to aq. Salinity but then I have to get it pre made from lfs. So what salts do you guys think I should go for?

Ive been using Kent Marine regular marine salt, but Ive an unopened bag of Instant Ocean Reef Crystals which is what everyone recommended. Ive been happy and seen growth with the Kent stuff, just wanted to switch to a more reef-oriented. Ill let you know how it works after awhile.

i have used oceanic for the last 15 years and i really like it. i have used kent,IO,reef crystals but my fav was oceanic so thats all i use now.

You can buy Aquavitro in buckets and mix it your self. It is a good quality salt. I have also heard very good reviews about Seachem Reef Salt and ESV Bionic Seawater System.

Can I ask you guys what kinda growth rates youre getting. I understand everyone's tank is different but you all know your own tanks and Im just trying to get a chance better picture. Mostly I look to my zoas for growth because my Oregon tort is a slow grower already.

Salinity is all i've been using for the last year or two.
Not as expensive as it seems when you realize the bucket is freakin huge and you don't have to use as much salt to get to the same water salinity.
And the bucket is the best in the biz. heh heh. :D

Man soooo much diversity here. I might as well pick one and shoot. Right now Im leaning towards red sea, esv, and Oceanic. Of course I want to go back to salinity but 80/bucket ouch! Also I want to try more then what ive already tried so I can be a more rounded reefer.

Ive been using Tropic Marin Bio-Actif for about a year and I've seen AWESOME coloration and clearity. Growth is normal, or what I would assume is normal. I'm about to swith over to Aquavitro Salinity, theres a few LFS that use it in their DTs and they have amazing results. Like Dennnis mentioned, the AQ Salinity may be more pricey but your using less quantity per water change.

Back