White "Dust" on My Live Rock and LocLine

BuddaTurk

Turk of Budda
Hi All,

I have this white dust that collects on my live rock, loc line return lines and I find it sometimes on my fish. It doesn't really bother me, I just want to know what it is...and is there something I can do to get rid of it.

Also, should your water be crystal clear? I always seem to have some particulates in the water. I don't know why, but it never has seem to effect the health of my 30 gallon tank.

Thanks,
BT

running carbon every other week will help to keep water crystal clear and if you have any corals that like to let out toxins it will clean that out too.

I'm guessing that it's probably sand or coralline starting. It's not a big deal. Like Newb pointed out, running carbon or ChemiPure will greatly increase the clarity of your water.

It's a filter media like carbon or phosphate removers. It comes in a bag and you place it anywhere in your tank where there is high flow, just like carbon. ChemiPure removes impurities and toxins in the water, along with heavy metals, phosphates and other stuff.

It is a combination of granulated activated carbon and resin beads. Resin beads are charged with different chemicals so as to attract chemicals or to commonly exchange them with chemicals that are to be removed. An example is using resin beads in a DIO filter or a water filter for removing calcium from household water. Essntially it is like using a carbon filter and a selective DIO filter ti clean your water. I myself would just use a bag of carbon. Chemi-Pure is not cheap, and it is the carbon that has most of the removing potential mass wise. The resin is spent very quickly when used in a lot of water, such as in a tank. Picture trying to run all your tank water through a little tiny DIO filter without running it through a RO filter first. The resin beads would quit working very quickly. Their capacity is very limited.

Back