White stringy stuff in tank

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
Greetings all, I have noticed some white stringy stuff in the tank lately. It is coming from
the base of a Purple Mushroom. The Mushroom is attached to a small rock and in the past I have seen this substance on the rock it is attached to, and now it seems to be growing in a finger like pattern. Also about 10 inches away I have also seen a couple of finger like
strings starting to grow on a small colony of Button Polyps. Our Hawaiian Feather Duster has settled close to the Mushroom and I thought maybe the Mushroom is reacting defensively to the Feather Duster, but that doesn't explain the appearance of new strings further away from the Mushroom. The Feather Duster and the Mushroom seem fine. The Mushroom is always out when the lights are on and the Feather Duster is usually out unless spooked by sometjing and it does not seem to be bothered by the stringy stuff. I have tried to search the net to see if anybody else has experienced the same kind of thing but did not have any luck.

Tank parameters are:
SG- 1.025 Refractometer
Temp- 78.0
PH- 8.0 API
Ammo- 0 API
No2- 0 API
No3- 1-2ppm slight trace API
ALK- 7.8 DKH Salifert
Mag- 1500 slightly high Red Sea
Cal- 480 slightly high API

Attachments

• stringsonrock.jpg
    stringsonrock.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 3,813
  • stringsonbuttons.jpg
    stringsonbuttons.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,670
The fingers seem to be growing out of the base of the rock the Mushroom is on. I can see the white substance growing on the rock and then forming the fingers. So I do not think it is a Spaghetti worm but I really appreciate your reply.

Last edited:
Back