Tiny white spots

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I have tiny white spots forming on the Coralline Algae on my live rock. I also seem to have bleaching spots on some of my dead rock. I have new Coralline Algae growing in the tank on some of the dead rock and on all my power heads. I took a water sample to 2 LFS stores in my area for testing. I curretly only have test kits for PH, AMMO, NO2, NO3 and PHOS.
The LFS stores tested my Calcium using Salifert and Red Sea both test kits gave an inconclusive readings stating that my Calcium was about 500 or more. My Magnesium came in at 1200 and I am testing my ALK tomorrow when I pick up a test kit for it.

So I have 2 questions:
1 - what could be causing the white spots and is it something I need to worry about.
2 - what can i do about excessive Calcium levels in my tank.

My parameters are:
PH=8.0-8.1
Ammo=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0-Trace
Phos=0-Trace
Mag=1200
SG=1.024

Current stock list:
1 Sailfin Blenny
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Serpent Star
1 small Xenia
a few small mushrooms
a few small colonies of GSP's

Attachments

• whitespot01.jpg
    whitespot01.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 499
  • whitespot02.jpg
    whitespot02.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 869
  • whitespot03.jpg
    whitespot03.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 683
If you aren't dosing, the only reason your levels would be high is your salt mix. I would try some different test kits and compare readings. It is rare to have levels that are too high if you aren't dosing the tank.
I wouldn't worry about your coralline algae. Mine actually is kinda spotted right now too. :dunno:

I am using Seachem Reef Crystals. I have performed the Calcium tests with 3 different test kits. API, Read Sea and Salifert. I have new Coralline Algae growing in the tank so I am not overly concerned as long as the white spots aren't a major problem. I am wondering though how would one lower calcium levels in a reef tank. Everone in the tank seems healthy and is eating well and the water quality and clarity is good and the rest of my parameters seem fine.

I think the only way to lower it is dilution. Your salt shouldn't be overdosing your tank with calcium. I have heard that some salt mixes can be inconsistent all the way through. Maybe you hit a spot in your bucket that had a lot of calcium. I don't think 500 is dangerously high though. By the way, what is your alkalinity/KH at?

I haven't tested it it yet I will be testing it tonight when I get home from work, I just picked it up. I also give my salt a good mix in the bucket before I make up water for the tank. I will post my ALK when I test it tonight.

Testing with Salifert test kit
ALK in Meq/L=1.93
KH Value in dKH=5.4

These readings seem low to me waht could I do to raise if they need to be raised

If your tank is only a few months old, they would have been in the air for at least a short period of time when starting the tank. Could be from then.

Back