Why are my fish dying?

dragonet123

Reefing newb
Hi! I was wondering why my fish were dying? I have a 55 gallon aquarium, and 2 green chromis have died and one bangaii cardinal fish has already died. My parameters are perfect, by my fish are still dying!! Whats wrong!

Impossible to say without more info. How long has your tank been running? How long have you had the fish? Were they eating good? Did they look healthy...frayed fins, sunken belly, sore, spots, etc?
What is your salinity and how do you test it?
What is your nitrate and ammonia and what brand test kits do you use?
How often do you do water changes?

Oh sorry. My aquarium cycled for four weeks. (So currently about five weeks) My green chromis and clownfish I had for over a week, while my two bangaii cardinalfish and my eibli angel for about four days. All of my fish are eating food (or the live rock) The fish that died, did not appear to have any signs of sickness or disease. My salinity is 1.023 and I use a refractometer*. My ammonia, nitrate and nitrites are all at zero. I use API test kit. I do 20% water changes every week.

~Thanks

*http://www.amazon.com/Salinity-Refr...71881&sr=1-1&keywords=refractometer+saltwater

The only thing I could think of it that you added too much to quickly but with your levels being zero that seems unlikely....

Last edited:
So you had a clown, two chromis, two bangaii and an eibli angel in your tank? You now only have one bangaii and an angel alive?

You are moving entirely to fast in your new tank. Nothing good happens fast in this hobby so slow down and give your system time to catch up. That many fish in a new system over a five week period could have caused your problems.
Did all the fish come from the same place?
How are you acclimating your fish?
Your SG could use a little raising to 1.026 but do it slowly like a week.

I currently have 2 clowns, 1 angel, 2 bangaii cardnialfish, and 2 green chromis. All of my fish came from the same store. I acclimated my fish by putting the bag on top of the aquarium and slowly added some water. I have powerheads, a marineland powerfilter, a skimmer, and a hood.

Also, before my chromis died, they did act a little abnormal, especially after I added my new fish. When the angel was added and the cardinalfish, the green chromis hid a lot more in my live rock and ate less and less. Then, once I saw one laying on its side and breathing rapidly. Then it died.

Sounds like possible 2 issues, 1 water chemistry or bacteria infection. Labor breathe comes from either.
Stocking fish that quick will give you spikes in ammonia& nitrites. The beneficial bacteria on your lr. hasn't colonized to support the waste break down with the amount of fish. Stress in this system is a big issue with saltwater fishes, they are like old men and change.

Last edited:
Back