Why do college photography courses still make you use a film camera?

ianblackwel

Reefing newb
I can't believe the number of photography courses which still want you to shoot black and white film and develop it yourself.

I have no objection to b&w and all it entails but time should be spent on composition and exposure, not mixing chemicals.

Digital, with its instant feedback and dirt cheap cost-per-shot, is the all-time killer photography teaching tool.

Why would educators not see this?

Probably the same reason why they still teach you math even though they know you're going to use a calculator one day. I would think that would be very interesting. At some point (maybe even now) you'll be in an elite club of photographers who actually know your way around a dark room.

I can't believe the number of photography courses which still want you to shoot black and white film and develop it yourself.

I have no objection to b&w and all it entails but time should be spent on composition and exposure, not mixing chemicals.

Digital, with its instant feedback and dirt cheap cost-per-shot, is the all-time killer photography teaching tool.

Why would educators not see this?

LOL! :lol:
Think about that question for a second.
Are you taking a "photography" course, or a "learn how to use a digital camera" course.

Starting with film teaches you more than just how to use the controls on the camera. It teaches you how the camera works. All you really need for a "camera" is any box with a hole in it and a piece of film. That's some cool shit right there. And it's AMAZING what you can do with that box. You will also learn to "see". Again, it's more than just learning what all the little buttons and dials do. Like you said, film and chemicals are not cheap and it's not easy to develop yourself. So you are going to learn to THINK about the shot before you take it. It will slow you down. You will think about your subject, your composition, your lighting. And a lot of these things are easier to teach with b/w instead of color. Again you're stripping things down to the most basic. These are all the basis of photography and if you jump right to digital you're throwing too many other things into the mix and it becomes more like fast food. Learn the history, learn the traditional ways, and then you'll take those experiences with you to the digital side of things. Lastly, it lets the instructor level the playing field a bit. No one needs to worry about resolution or how many shot per second their camera can take. You'll all pretty much be using the same tools.

So relax, and enjoy the class. ;)
I'm just glad to see that there are instructors that have the SENSE to start you on b/w film.
It's like graphic design courses that don't teach people how to draw and paint first but instead teach them how to use computer software instead. Just because you can use a computer doesn't make you a designer.

Last edited:
that was very well put d2, lol just reading that just made me want to sign up for a photography course
LOL! :lol:
Think about that question for a second.
Are you taking a "photography" course, or a "learn how to use a digital camera" course.

Starting with film teaches you more than just how to use the controls on the camera. It teaches you how the camera works. All you really need for a "camera" is any box with a hole in it and a piece of film. That's some cool shit right there. And it's AMAZING what you can do with that box. You will also learn to "see". Again, it's more than just learning what all the little buttons and dials do. Like you said, film and chemicals are not cheap and it's not easy to develop yourself. So you are going to learn to THINK about the shot before you take it. It will slow you down. You will think about your subject, your composition, your lighting. And a lot of these things are easier to teach with b/w instead of color. Again you're stripping things down to the most basic. These are all the basis of photography and if you jump right to digital you're throwing too many other things into the mix and it becomes more like fast food. Learn the history, learn the traditional ways, and then you'll take those experiences with you to the digital side of things. Lastly, it lets the instructor level the playing field a bit. No one needs to worry about resolution or how many shot per second their camera can take. You'll all pretty much be using the same tools.

So relax, and enjoy the class. ;)
I'm just glad to see that there are instructors that have the SENSE to start you on b/w film.
It's like graphic design courses that don't teach people how to draw and paint first but instead teach them how to use computer software instead. Just because you can use a computer doesn't make you a designer.

Last edited:
When I took photography in college I owned a Maxxum 5D (DSLR), but shot using a Maxxum 5 Film camera for the class. The time I spent in the Darkroom is by far the best time I ever had in a college classroom.

Pick up any of the different series of Ansel Adams' books and you will quickly see why film and darkroom techniques are important. It all helps you translate what you see with your eyes into what you want to show in your prints. You will be surprised at what you learn about light and composition from the darkroom.

Back