Why Live Rock?

phastroh

Do Not Listen To Me!!!
Ok I was just looking around and trying to read more about Marcos Rocks. While i read one complaint I also read someones great experience in the same thread.

Here is the thread and pix of their tank with the Marcos Rocks WOWOWOW!!! They look fab in my opinion.

Marco rock v's bulkreef eco rox - 3reef Forums

Also there were a few post asking them why even put live rock in the tank at all.

Basically it will get live on its own by just adding a dead shrimp or coraline scrapings.

So I can just get 120 Pounds of Marco's Rocks and not even put in live rock?

I love that look although I admit it would be nice to have a few of the Figi Rock I have seen as well.

Plus if you get the base rock it is flat on the bottom to boot. I mean just for the bottom part though the rest can be the other kind.

Last edited:
Shrimp doesnt add the bacteria for liverock, you need the bacteria present for "dead" rock to become "live" rock. Don't forget that the company doesnt make the the rock pretty, you do, by how you scape it and what you seed it with. You can buy the "best looking" rock out there and still have an ugly tank.

I totally agree.

I already have an idea of what I want to do and these rocks are perfect for it.

They sell flat rocks for near the top as well. I have seen many tanks and have a good idea of what I want to do and what i don't like.

I do have plans on how I will combine the rocks.

My tank has water in it already which makes doing to work a bit harder and more messy but I will be putting it together prior to placing it.

Basically my plan is to have a lower area and an upper are toward the back. Like a step but of course not so defined.

This way I can place my corals to grow where I want them to and try to keep them not so close to the ground.

I really appreciate your info though and what you say is true but so far all the Marco Rock setups I have seen are really cool looking.

I just think his rocks come in pretty much all style if you look. He has the flat base rock, the flat shelf rock and the Figi type as well.

I am planning pretty carefully and I will try to stay as close to my vision as possible.

I wish I had a 300 Gallon hog so I could use regular rock and lead into these ones but I haven't even proved I can handle this 80 Gallon yet so.....

phastroh I'm just about at the same point you are. However, I went with the base rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater (20lbs) and I'll be putting in the Bali ALOR (10 lbs) live rock in to seed the base. I have only heard good things about Tampa Bay, I have yet to read a negative comment about them.

Are they actually in Tampa Bay Florida because that is close to me and do they have a site or are they just a.local store.

Plenty of people have ordered from both Marco and TBS and I have yet to hear anything bad from either of those companies. My Nano as well as all three of D2Minis tanks were setup with "The Package" from TBS. It's a great deal and you'll get tons of extras! For dry rock though, Marco can't be beat. I used them for most of the rock in my 75. They've got great looking rock, pretty cheap prices, and occasionally you can find them offering free shipping on their website.

Wow they seem to be pretty good and show themselves doing the work, but I have to say it is like a $1000 package for me to get all that stuff for my tank.

I wasn't going to put in 2lbs per gallon only 1.5lbs per gallon. I mean they are giving you all the critters and basically free coral if you think about it.

I have to think about it.

Maybe I will see where they are and talk to them before I make a decision.

Thanks for the good link.

Yeah the Marco dry rock and his rock in general look sweet.

Maybe I can mix the 2. This way my package my be cheaper, plus I can take my brothers truck and get it quick.

I know when I purchased my base rock from TBS, it only ended up costing me around $37 for 20lbs. You can't beat the $1.87/lbs for base rock. :)

Are they actually in Tampa Bay Florida because that is close to me and do they have a site or are they just a.local store.

Then you could save yourself a pretty good chunk of change in the shipping alone.Just a matter of calling and setting up a time to get there.

Both the Maro and TBS are great rock for the tank.And with their live rock,you'll spend countless hours just watching all the cool hitch hikers.Though some of em are more fun than other.:D

And with their live rock,you'll spend countless hours just watching all the cool hitch hikers.Though some of em are more fun than other.:D

Heck ya! Look at my Tank Showcase thread for my 130g Rimless build.
TBS all the way. :D

+1 everybody, both Tampa Bay and Marco both have excellent reputations. Understand, Marco is dry rock, and Tampa Bay is a living package. I've also heard that you end up getting extra stuff thrown in with Tampa Bay. You can't go wrong with either one, but although what they sell is similar, it's really quite different. If that makes sense.

Yeah I just emailed back and forth with Richard from Tampa Bay and he said he could help me out. He also offers the similar but he said not the same Dry Rock like Marcos.

I was kind of dumb about asking why so many crabs and snails thinking I would have a mucky tank. I want a clean tank without all the dark and muck you see in some over rocked tanks.

I am not against a lot of rock but I really have seen some way to filled looking and dark looking and too many ugly random soft corals.

I sent him my needs list and I will see what he says. Good thing I live nearby.

Again, look at my tank. Not mucky at all.... crystal clear. Muck would be a water quality issue, not how much live rock you have. In fact more live rock should help keep everything more stable and filtered better as long as you have enough flow not to have a bunch of dead spots.

Richard rocks! Tell him I said wussup. :D

yah tampa bay saltwater is right here in tampa, there sight says the store is no longer open to the public but they can arrange pick up to save on the shipping... maybe ill just find there lease and dive it... lol hopefully i dont get caught..

Can you paste the link for me. I only saw you 46 and Nano.

So this 130 in all Tampa Rock?

Nice bowfront stand by the way.

Ok so yes the tank and rocks are pretty nice. You are right they aren't bad at all.

I can't have all those corals with my current lights so I figure any of the soft corals/sponges I may get with these rocks will die anyway.

I am waiting for him to email me back with what he can do for me. I see he has this process for putting in the rocks but I was hoping since I live right here I may have to do it for less time but I don't know enough to know.

I am thinking of draining half or more of my tank into a new garbage can while I put in the rock and sand. Then I will dribble it back in slowly. I just want to put it in to make sure the rock is covered.

I may have to talk to Richard about a good way to do that since he recommends doing half the supply then the other half.

Back