Why might I have algae

tp1011

Reefing newb
I have had LR for about two months in my 29bc and 1 clown for about
3 weeks i feed him every other day either 1 piece of flake food or mysis shrimp.

Today I notice a little algae on the sand and glass. I buy my water at the lfs and it is phosphate free, I did a 20 % wc on Saturday I know its not a big deal but I want to stay on top of it before it becomes a problem.

I also run a skimmer, any ideas on how to control this before it gets out of hand

Thanks

heres a picture not the best but its something, it is brown in color, very thin looking on bottom
of glass next to sand but not on sand.

should i test for something?

thanks

p.s. it is behind the spong

Attachments

• mail-7.jpeg
    mail-7.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
nutrients break down and algae is gonna use that up. the only way to aviod it is to export it another way or through something else. the skimmer will help but is never 100%

Do you have a sump/refuge?
personally if i have too much algae problems and i think its worthy i run a phosban and carbon reactor to clear the water up 100 %.

but what you see is normal for every other one of us =P
nothing a mag float and a snail/hermit wouldn't take care of.

It'll eventually go away over time. It's common in newer tanks, and tanks that use tap water instead of rodi water.

I dont have a sump, the tank is on my sons desk so im limited on space but i think i need to do something with my chamber 2. Time to research

Back