why ro water

bonsaijohn

Reefing newb
hi, i,m new to the forum, but used to keep marines 40 yrs ago for many years and i don,t understand this ro water . then we just used tapwater . do you have machines that produce it, and if so why. regards john

thank you , but if its because of the chemicals, i don,t think i need it , i live in thailand and do not use government water, my water is from my own wells , i have a 33000 liter koi pond and use the well water and its ok, and i test it all the time for ph gh,kh . so what do you think ?? regards john

The problem with well water is it can contain minerals That could cause algae outbreaks and/or it can contain (heavy) metals that can affect/kill corals and inverts, if you plan to keep them. The reason most of us use RO/DI water is to remove all of those contaminants.

John, it's not just chemicals you're worried about, it's total dissolved solids and with well water you need to worry about hard minerals, my well water has a lot of iron that needs to be pulled out

I agree, the ro/di unit pulls everything out the water and makes it 100% pure. You can either purchase a unit online (for about $100), or buy your water from a fish store or supermarket.

hi nanoreefer, interesting !! its going to be a big tank so if i can avoid ro water its going to be easier , my koi pond never gets blanket weed which is very unusual , which tells me there are no phosphates in my water. but i may have a trial run with a tank outside, its easy in thailand as long as the tank is not in the sun,it gets too hot. my local trader does not use any heaters or ro water , regards john

If you're really that concerned about it, I'd just have a sample of the well water tested. That will tell you pretty quickly what you're working with

hi northstar24, i tried to get the water tested a few years ago for the koi pond, but its not easy here, they don,t speak english and even though i can speak thai, not good enough to get technical and the report comes back in thai script< sanscript> . but thanks anyway.i,ll probably just buy a big ro unit . kind regards john

Back